Cycling in Britanny

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What do you want to know? I've toured there twice.

I know. These people have a good reputation if you're looking for a pre-organised but flexible and relaxed tour.

If not, there are literaly hundreds of quite roads in Brittany, inland or coastal, though the South coast gets quite busy. Camping is easy but personally I'd go for Gite d'etapes. kind of mini Youth hostels, very informal and variable but quite delightful. Most will do breakast and evening meal very cheaply.

...any recommended bases for circular rides of up to 50 miles?

Am thinking of getting a train down to the coast and taking my bike and camping trailer over via ferry for a couple of weeks next spring/early summer.

I want to do the back roads and villages rather than main roads and towns.

It will be my first time abroad on a bike.

john2702 said:
...any recommended bases for circular rides of up to 50 miles?

Am thinking of getting a train down to the coast and taking my bike and camping trailer over via ferry for a couple of weeks next spring/early summer.

I want to do the back roads and villages rather than main roads and towns.

It will be my first time abroad on a bike.

I'll have a look at my maps and check where I've been and get back to you. Back roads and villages are no problem in Brittany. Many's the time I've not seen a vehicle for 20 minutes or more.

Also if you are on a bike in Brittany, even if you don't speak much French, you will be greeted enthusiasticaly by most French shopkeepers, cycling is a Breton passion.

Which port are you coming into or have you not decided? One thing to bear in mind is, though Brittany is not mountainous, the roads can be quite hilly, always up and down.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My advice is to pick a route on small roads and you can't go wrong. It can be pretty hilly as has been said. I toured there a couple of times and enjoyed it all, coast and inland. One day I saw more tractors on the road than cars!

Personal recommendations are best, and I know you are still searching 't webb but http://www.stanfords.co.uk/go/brittany/cycling/ looks usefull for maps etc

jay clock

Massive member
Why do you want to stay on one place? Two weeks will limiit the general choice of where you head, even if you choose a different lane each time.

My suggestion would be to do a circular tour say from Cherbourg and back from St Malo. That gives tons of choice.

Have a look here for ideas about touring in general or specifics on France. Or here for my own accounts.

Top Bottom