Cycling in New York - advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I'm hoping to head there in a month or so and might have a few days to kill. Would appreciate some advice if anyone has experience of cycling in the area etc.

1. Should I take my own bike or rent when there (road bike pref).
B) if I do take my own, should I rent a box or bite the bullet and buy one?
2. What's the region like for riding? I'll be staying in heart of manhattan, but would be open to heading off the island for a few hours ride.
3. Plenty of airlines are offering 'up to 23kg' for a bike box. Given the bike boxes I've seen are 10-12kg, what's best for keeping weight down? Split some bike bits into my other lighter case?

Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping to head there in a month or so and might have a few days to kill. Would appreciate some advice if anyone has experience of cycling in the area etc.

2. What's the region like for riding? I'll be staying in heart of manhattan, but would be open to heading off the island for a few hours ride.
3. Plenty of airlines are offering 'up to 23kg' for a bike box. Given the bike boxes I've seen are 10-12kg, what's best for keeping weight down? Split some bike bits into my other lighter case?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, can't help with any personal experience but a place like Bike Forums is a US based site and they have regional subfora.
Not the friendliest of places ^_^

Thanks in advance.

If it's just a few days then I'd just rent. Never been there mind you so feel free to ignore me. Bike boxes are cumbersome to travel with and I'd avoid it if possible.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve ridden in New York, took my own bike in a soft padded bike bag. You could hire a Bike Box Alan. Other trips a got a cardboard bike box from my LBS and used that. The airline didn’t charge me anymore for taking the bike.

Cycling in New York is great, well it was when I went there, there’s loads of places to visit, too many to mention, but one of the highlights was cycling over the George Washington Bridge and riding a few hours up New Jersey to the Pallasades.

I found cycling around Manhattan, and Brooklyn less intimidating than cycling in London.

If you’re going in May you could do Bike New York, The Five Boro’s Challenge on closed roads.

Trickedem

Guru
Manhattan is great to ride around. I've used the Citi Hire Bikes a few times. The last time I was in NY I took my Brompton and went over the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey. You are very quickly in the country side and it is lovely riding.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I’ve ridden in New York, took my own bike in a soft padded bike bag. You could hire a Bike Box Alan. Other trips a got a cardboard bike box from my LBS and used that. The airline didn’t charge me anymore for taking the bike.

Cycling in New York is great, well it was when I went there, there’s loads of places to visit, too many to mention, but one of the highlights was cycling over the George Washington Bridge and riding a few hours up New Jersey to the Pallasades.

I found cycling around Manhattan, and Brooklyn less intimidating than cycling in London.

If you’re going in May you could do Bike New York, The Five Boro’s Challenge on closed roads.

Manhattan is great to ride around. I've used the Citi Hire Bikes a few times. The last time I was in NY I took my Brompton and went over the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey. You are very quickly in the country side and it is lovely riding.

Thanks both. Will take a look at some routes out that way. I had considered going out to long beach, but considering the winds I might avoid it.

brommieinkorea

Thanks in advance.

I'm from USA. Been to NYC. Renting a bike over here, even in a mega-city like New York, is difficult.
Maybe a box from a local bike shop would be best and lightest to travel with your bike. I've only ever flown with a Brompton,, and it was military so my luggage allowance was extravagant.
Lots of back streets to avoid the worst traffic in Manhatten. This said North American car pilots are the worst and most dangerous in the world. Oh, and we drive on the wrong side of the road.

D

Deleted member 26715

This said North American car pilots are the worst and most dangerous in the world.ad.
As a US military person have you not been to the Philippines? I would rank then higher than UD drivers in the worst drivers stake

Citi bikes are the easiest option, pretty similar to the London scheme.
I found cycling in Manhatten to be pretty safe and easy. You won't be doing big milleage but it is a good way to get around and see things.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I’m not the spelling Police. But am amazed more people who’ve been and speak of Manhattan can’t spell it……

I’ve been to NYC six times and am back again this coming Christmas. I’m sure the outer Boroughs are fine: cycling wise. But to do so in Central Manhattan - you need to be slightly bonkers imo…..

mustang1

Guru
I've been there numerous times and have both rented a bike there and also taken my own. I only rented cheap "MTB" BSOs but they were fine for me.

But then I started taking my Brompton and that was great, a real conversation starter wherever I went!

I cycled in all 5 boroughs but majority of it was around Manhattan (I also stayed in central Manhattan. I felt safe around the city but I suppose I am a London cyclist so I'm experienced in city riding? Stay out of the left and right lanes in Manhattan as they get traffic clogged because cars want to turn left or right and get stuck at the traffic lights with pedestrians crossing. It's very busy on Friday and Saturday nights as any city is; plenty of lights around Times Square and, well, a nice enjoyable experience for me.

Oh yeah, depending on when you go, the winds can become bitterly ice cold, but the summers are fantastic and very warm, almost hot. Autumn is brilliant in Central Park (and be aware of egocentric cyclists here although I never had any problems).

Oh, btw, I took my Brompton in a dedicated soft bag and had zero problems during transit in all the times I've been (tyres de-pressurized).

Hope that helps a little bit at least, have fun!

brommieinkorea

As a US military person have you not been to the Philippines? I would rank then higher than UD drivers in the worst drivers stake

Nope, never been to the Phillipines. But, to watch step mother Edna and aunt Linda drive (both Phillipinas) it wouldn't surprise me to find out its pretty bad there too.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks all, some great tips. Will think on it and see what I can do. Will be staying in central manhattan, but if I get up early enough, I should be able to escape before too much traffic.

Top Bottom