Cycling in Bulgaria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is very brief but may allay some preconceptions of Bulgaria.

I have just spent a week cycling in Bulgaria and was really suprised that the roads were not a disaster. The countryside was beautiful and all the people I met were friendly and hospitable. Every time I stopped at a shop or cafe someone would try and chat about the bike or trip.

The beaches and parks are nice. Everything is cheap and the drivers are considerate.

A really great place to ride a bike.

But it does get very hot

robjh

Legendary Member
This is very brief but may allay some preconceptions of Bulgaria.

I have just spent a week cycling in Bulgaria and was really suprised that the roads were not a disaster. The countryside was beautiful and all the people I met were friendly and hospitable. Every time I stopped at a shop or cafe someone would try and chat about the bike or trip.

The beaches and parks are nice. Everything is cheap and the drivers are considerate.

A really great place to ride a bike.

But it does get very hot
I'd second that Steve. I rode across the country in 2008 from Varna to Sofia via Veliko Târnovo, Plovdiv and the Rhodope mountains and loved it. Friends of mine have recently been on a CTC tour in the Rhodopes too, so there are obviously some people who recognise its attractions for cyclists.

Were you camping steve?
If so, what was the freecamping situation like for when you might need it?
How did you get there?
Can you recommend any bulgarian beer/wine and best sources of?

Top Bottom