Cycling in Gower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody know what the cyclings like around the Gower penninsula/Pembrokeshire area is like?
We have booked a week down at St Davids which is right down in the bottom SW corner.

Is it mega hilly around the area? :confused:

I did the BHF Gower bike ride a few weeks ago - not difficult at all if you are even reasonably fit.

North Gower is quite flat, Gowerton to Llanrhidian is like a pancake almost, then it's a little bit up and down until you get to Llangennith.

Middle Gower is hilly, but nothing too bad. Cefn Bryn is a bit of a drag as is the road around the back of Fairwood Airport.

South Gower again hilly but there are a couple of nasty short sharp hills around the bays which you have to drop down to get to them.

The scenery is quite something in places, I recommend watching the sunset from Llangennith dunes, or the Worms Head Pub in Rhossili - stunning!

But if you want a challenge try Constitution Hill is Swansea itself - not for the faint hearted. Even the Pro's were pushing up that one one year on the Milk Race!

Whrrr

I'm off to St David's for a week with the mother-in-law(!), wife and son. They're not cyclists so I'm hoping to get some early morning rides in. Any suggestions for around the city area itself?

Thanks!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Lardyboy said:
But if you want a challenge try Constitution Hill is Swansea itself - not for the faint hearted. Even the Pro's were pushing up that one one year on the Milk Race!

I lived half-way up just past the third base camp -you definitely need oxygen waiting at the top for you.

Oxwich bay is a nice stopping off point for a paddle.

515mm

Whrrr said:
I'm off to St David's for a week with the mother-in-law(!), wife and son. They're not cyclists so I'm hoping to get some early morning rides in. Any suggestions for around the city area itself?

Thanks!

St David's in Pembrokeshire?

Unfortunately nowhere near Gower unless you fancy a 150mile round trip!

Time to start a new thread...........:laugh:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
lifeson said:
Anybody know what the cyclings like around the Gower penninsula/Pembrokeshire area is like?
We have booked a week down at St Davids which is right down in the bottom SW corner.

Is it mega hilly around the area? :confused:

As 515mm says, it's a long way from St David's to Gower. If you do get to Gower make sure you don't miss the Cilonnen Road, from Three Crosses to Llanrhidian. There are some monstrous hills, but also some really nice flat bits - like the Marsh Road from Llanrhidian to Crofty at low tide. Bad weekend driving makes the South Gower road intimidating for less confident cyclists, but otherwise it's nice - as Lardyboy says, it will take you to Rhossili/Worm's Head, which is not to be missed. A lovely flat, fast road connects S and N Gower from Llandewi to Burry Green. The best descents are Cefn Stylle (going North from Three Crosses) and Cilibion Hill (going North from the King Arthur at Reynoldston, over Cefn Bryn. I don't recommend going up the latter, especially with a headwind, unless you're some kind of masochist. In which case, as Lardyboy says, it's Constitution Hill in Swansea for you...

Top Bottom