Cycling in Jordan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Anyone done it? I've booked an organised 9 day cycling trip with my daughter to include, the Dead sea, Petra, Mount Nebo, Wadi Rum and Madaba. Cycling an average 30 odd miles a day with lots of sightseeing. Any tips will be gladly appreciated.

OP
OP
GM

GM

Legendary Member
Hi Reg

We're going in the middle of May. Hopefully it's not going to be too hot, about 30 degrees is fine with me. We're going with Intrepid Travel, daughter has been with them on her last 4 worldwide annual trips, so she knows what to expect of them. Really looking forward to seeing Petra and a bit of desert camping.

John Peel

I looked into it and the idea seems like a good one. Jordan is safe to travel, as is Israel. My thought was that once I arrived in Cyprus I could get a ferry over to Israel, cycle over one border to Jordan for a little tour, then cross another border back to Israel. I looked into it and still haven't ruled it out.

From my own research, May seems like an ideal time to go, and your going on an organised tour so you have nothing to worry about and the routes will be navigable for all ages. I estimate I should be around about that time, so if you see a poor sole sweating buckets and looking a bit lost, all on his lonesome, stop and say hi, it might be me :smile: but no, I can't see me being there at that time.

I asked my daughters if they wanted to meet up with my on route at some point to cycle a little way with me - at my expense of course :smile: - but they just looked at me like I'd lost my mind. They are 24 and 22 (that's their ages not their names), so maybe they just love their party lifestyle too much. All the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GM

GM

Legendary Member
I looked into it and the idea seems like a good one. Jordan is safe to travel, as is Israel. My thought was that once I arrived in Cyprus I could get a ferry over to Israel, cycle over one border to Jordan for a little tour, then cross another border back to Israel. I looked into it and still haven't ruled it out.

From my own research, May seems like an ideal time to go, and your going on an organised tour so you have nothing to worry about and the routes will be navigable for all ages. I estimate I should be around about that time, so if you see a poor sole sweating buckets and looking a bit lost, all on his lonesome, stop and say hi, it might be me :smile: but no, I can't see me being there at that time.

I asked my daughters if they wanted to meet up with my on route at some point to cycle a little way with me - at my expense of course :smile: - but they just looked at me like I'd lost my mind. They are 24 and 22 (that's their ages not their names), so maybe they just love their party lifestyle too much. All the best.

If I do see a poor sole sweating buckets, I'll buy you a beer!
Good luck with yours! :okay:

We went on a cycling holiday to Jordan a few years back with Exodus. Sounds very similar to what you're describing. They were a bit fussy about helmets and the bikes were well-loved MTBs rather than anything faster, but generally it was really enjoyable, and there were some terrific, almost deserted roads.

The young can be so so conventional.

Top Bottom