Cycling in Prague?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Not as holiday, but possibly living and working there - so commuting and/or social rides.

Anyone know what it's like to ride in Prague and the Czech Republic?

snorri

Legendary Member
Bumpy with tramlines in the city.

Yellow7

Über Member
I'll find out in May/June as passing through Prague from Berlin, enroute to Budapest, but from what I've read so far & seen there's nothing too worrying.

Praha - Some of the main roads in the city centre are not very good - narrow lanes on either side of the tram tracks bounded by kerbs both sides - city centre is OK - lots of cobbles, more trams and trolleybuses and too many tourists - beyond the centre is OK - just got to keep your eyes and ears open for the trams.

CZ in general is a pretty good place to cycle.

Thanks for the replies! Are there any issues with attitudes to cyclists in that city?

I didnt see that many cyclists in the city (and the riverside cycle way was almost predominantly populated by rollerbladers) - Local people I spoke to said "its not good for cycling" which is probably true for some of the roads in the centre I mentioned above (I took to the pavement for part of my journey to the campsite) - but away from those roads in the suburbs and in the centre itself - no problem - main attitude was possibly surprise - public transport system is so good - why would you want to cycle.

quite a lot of the big towns have relatively good cycle networks and there were relatively more cyclists in those towns - similar to non- london UK. Fair number of leisure and long distance cyclists on the Vltavou and Elbe cycle routes when I was on them.

Ian Smitton

It's good for mountain biking, or even off road touring, but mixed for road cycling.

There are a few forests in the city itself (Kunraticky Les and Divoka Sarka) which have loads of paths going through them - loads of cycle routes in Prague as well, there's a map you can get for them.

For road cycling, you have to pick the routes carefully to avoid the motorways and really busy roads that run around the city. There is a nice route out along the river in both directions, and there is a route called the Prague Circle which is about 160km and runs around the outskirts of the city on minor roads - its pretty up and down, and you can join it at several places by catching the metro.

Regarding the Czechs, their attitude to cyclists is pretty good, but not as courteous as in France/Spain. Nearly everyone, even people who cycle on the roads, use mountain bikes.

Top Bottom