Cycling in the 1940s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Leeds Clarion, during the war years.

1684539661669.jpeg

~1941?

1684539679655.jpeg

1684539713342.jpeg

Easter 1942

1684539747959.jpeg

Black Sail, August 1942

1684540305565.png

Honister, August 1942

1684539785336.jpeg

August 1944

1684539819435.jpeg

Augut 1945

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
FABULOUS pictures. How cool ! The Gentleman mocking the Steep Hill sign - i love..........

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
FABULOUS pictures. How cool ! The Gentleman mocking the Steep Hill sign - i love..........

Yes, I like that one too, he was my father's best friend Stan, and it was the notion that cyclists should get off and walk that he was thumbing his nose at. That sign was still there for another 60 years, I used to think of the photo every time I passed it.

Then there's the mountain biking 15 years before the RSF, and 40 years before mountain bikes. ^_^

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I've been there! In fact my profile picture is taken on the bank of the River Liza taken further downstream.

Were you staying at Black Sail hostel?

I've only had one night there in 1971, I always wanted to go back, but never managed it. I gather they have a shower there nowadays, when I was there the washing facility was an enamel jug of cold water on the table, and an enamel bowl. In my father's day it was a wash in the beck.

I like the little, remote hostels best. Simple and unspoilt, in places where nobody else would get planning permission.

Were you staying at Black Sail hostel?

I've only had one night there in 1971, I always wanted to go back, but never managed it. I gather they have a shower there nowadays, when I was there the washing facility was an enamel jug of cold water on the table, and an enamel bowl. In my father's day it was a wash in the beck.

I like the little, remote hostels best. Simple and unspoilt, in places where nobody else would get planning permission.

Unfortunately not, but I was camping nearby at Seatoller. Lovely little place, couple pubs and not much else.

I was cycling an Ennerdale loop, there was a hotel once on the shores of Ennerdale. Southern end, I think it was connected with fishing on the water.

Top Bottom