Cycling in the Costa del Sol.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jefcon

I'm Jeff from Edinburgh. I've been cycling with a variety of road bike clubs in Scotland over the past couple of years. I'm planning to spend several months each winter in the Costa del Sol area of Spain and am trying to find information about cycling in the area. I'm particularly keen to find details of cycle clubs in Marbella, Malaga or the surrounding area. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

djhep

Über Member
Hi Jeff......
If you aren't worried about nightlife, etc..... i would recommend spending time an hour or so drive further inland.
Ronda, Grazalema, Zahara, El Burgo, Olvera are all towns set in a beautiful mountainous area. The roads are for the most part in great condition, and traffic is almost non existent. They call the area the lake district of Spain.
I am biased though, as i have a base in Olvera, and bought here specifically for the great cycling/motorcycling roads.

The other great thing about this area is that you are within 1 to 1-1/2hrs of Sevilla, Malaga, Cadiz, Jerez, Granada, Huelva, Cordoba and all of the coastal towns such as Marbella, Estepona etc.

I believe the Granada area is also very good for cycling, but i havent explored that area yet.

Oh one other thing......it can get pretty cold here in the winter. I set off New Year eve with a long sleeve cycling top and shorts and it hit -4 at one point (1150m).
Luckily i had taken arm and leg warmers.

Good luck with your planning

Dave

Ps....Sorry i cant help with any info on clubs etc, but almost every town and village have them.......

Top Bottom