Cycling in the Netherlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
wince said:
recommend a good route
There are countless options, it really depends on what you mean by "good". Shortest route, scenic route, route of historical interest? No hills whichever way you go.:smile:
Ask anyone for the VVV (vay vay vay) or ANWB office when you get off the ferry, there you will be able to buy maps.
There is a wealth of info on this site
http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/holland.shtml

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Motorways tend not to have cycle paths runing alongside them. Most A roads, however, do and you can bike them quite safely although some of them are dull (flat, straight and no scenery). Going up the coast and turning right at Haarlem would be a good route. You could follow the signs for the LF1 (up the coast) and then the LF20. Otherwise, I'd suggest staying on the coast until you get past The Hague (avoiding a lot of ugly conurbation) and then heading towards Leiden but the route from Leiden to Amsterdam is nothing really to write home about.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
The North Sea Cycle Route is known as the LF1 in Holland. It is clearly signposted in both directions. It basically follows a path along the coast (away from major roads and housing) but, like most LF routes, deviates now and again to take you through interesting areas. If you are in a huurry the deviations can get a bit tiring. I haven't done the stretch between Hoek and Haarlem but I would expect the route to be tarmac or crushed shells. Given the prevailing wind direction, cycling up the coast should be a doddle.

snorri

Legendary Member
I suggest you get a street map of Amsterdam before reaching the city, it's easy to get lost there:biggrin:, he says with first hand experience.:evil:

The coastal route would be fine, but might take you a bit longer depending which part of Amsterdam you are heading for. Leiden is an interesting old place, Pilgrim Fathers and all that.

If you follow the LF1, the signs will be suffixed a or b, follow LF1a for Haarlem to the Hoek and LF1b for Hoek to Haarlem.

If I was to be cycling from Stratford to Amsterdam, the section from Stratford to Harwich would cause me more concern than Hoek to A'dam.:becool:

wince

Thanks Snorri, this information is great. I'm not worried about the cycling in the UK, I'm just worried about taking a wrong turning in Amsterdam and getting lost in a dodgy area. I will buy a map.

orbiter

The coast route is great unless there's a strong blow off the North Sea. I often use it between Hoek and Haarlem, where I prefer to stay when visiting Amsterdam. Good fast tracks through the dunes and roads at Noordwijk and Scheveningen. And the best beercafe in the world - Paradise in the Dunes, at Monster, 10 minutes from Hoek :smile: It usually takes me about 5 hours, stopping for icecream/beer/snacks on the way. I prefer to hop on the train between Haarlem and Amsterdam though.

I've not cycled in the Netherlands, though I've been there a few times for work. However, this thread and (especially) the "suggestions for an 8yo" thread inspired me to google "Zuider Zee Route" which threw up this link.

That looks like fun .. think I'll need to wait until the Littlest-LC is a bit older though.

Deefex

I was in Groningen last month visiting some friends of the missus. Great place. It's a student town so the concentration of bike riders is far greater than your normal cloggie town.

Cycling in NL affords you the luxury of a completely separate cycle path (usually bi directional) so you needn't worry about passing motor vehicles clipping you. At junctions cars turning left or right across your path must give way to you before completing their turn (best to exercise caution however).

Brand name, shiny, modern bikes get stolen quickly in NL so hire yourself a crappy looking functional bike (usually fixies or 3 speed sturmy archer jobbies) with the requisite black matte coat of paint. You won't need to worry about hills and therefore gears to a large extent.

Prettige vakantie.

Tony

wince said:
Thanks Alan, that's a huge help, I've just discovered the Northsea Cycle path that appears to head north up the Dutch coast. The map doesn't appear to follow any roads so I can only assume that the paths are on the tops of dykes, is this the case?

Or this map:

http://www.northsea-cycle.com/default.asp?id=2&mnu=2&lang=1

may not be accurate.
Here's my trip a few months ago:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/3503

The paths certainly DON'T follow the tops of dykes! The Southern part, up to Camperduin, meanders through very pleasant dunelands, but the bits by the dykes, with the exception of places like Lauwersoog and the Afsluitsdijk, are on paths BEHIND the dykes, so what you see are polders to your right and a turf slope to your left.

snorri

Legendary Member
IME, those who sing the praises of France for cycle touring have never cycled in The Netherlands.:?:
( snorri digs in and prepares for bombardment from the francophiles:biggrin::biggrin:)

Top Bottom