Cycling in the Netherlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carwash

Señor Member
At the end of next month I'll be visiting some friends in the Netherlands for a long weekend, and they've suggested/threatened that I should hire a bike for the duration.

Since this will be my first time in the Netherlands since I was, oh, very small*, I was wondering if there's anything in particular I should be aware of before hitting the streets of Groningen that might catch an unwary traveller off guard. Are there any strange local rules of the road I might not expect? Any Dutch courtesies or conventions that might ease my journey and make me stand out a little less as a buitenlander? Yes, I shall try to remember to ride on the right! ;)

Any advice would be appreciated.

* The highlights of this trip, as I recall, were Madurodam and double-decker trains. These are the sights that excite the four-year old mind. :biggrin:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Carwash said:
At Any Dutch courtesies or conventions that might ease my journey and make me stand out a little less as a buitenlander?

You're going about this the wrong way. If you don't stand out as a buitenlander they're going to think you are one of them and treat you with the most appalling rudeness and treat you to the sharp end of their elbows.

Stand out as much as you can, do it on purpose and as often as practicable. Wear a Union Jack hat and poke things with a brolly. Ask silly quesitons and never speak more than one word of Dutch. They'll carry you through the streets of Groningen shouting hosannas.

OP
OP
Carwash

Carwash

Señor Member
domtyler said:
Just remember to take plenty of money for weed and of course the famous red light district.

Is that where the Dutch state sends their RLJers for 'rehabilitation'? They certainly are an enlightened nation, indeed!

And I have more than enough weeds in my back yard without buying any more abroad! What an odd notion.

domtyler

Über Member
Oh I almost forgot, take every item of Orange clothing you possess. They absolutely lap it up over there.

domtyler

Über Member
Carwash said:
Is that where the Dutch state sends their RLJers for 'rehabilitation'? They certainly are an enlightened nation, indeed!

And I have more than enough weeds in my back yard without buying any more abroad! What an odd notion.

You're growing weed in your back garden? :biggrin:

You should be careful admitting things like that in public! You're not in the Netherlands yet you know! ;):smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Carwash said:
* The highlights of this trip, as I recall, were Madurodam and double-decker trains. These are the sights that excite the four-year old mind. ;)

I think I went there too as a kid .. did it have an aeroplane that taxi'd and in my memory took off too? (again this was when I was about 8 or so).

snorri

Legendary Member
Everything you need to know here:smile:
http://www.politie.nl/groningen/images/your stay in groningen_tcm6-309252.pdf
Tip - Be careful if cycling on Nieuwstad, minor collisions due to driver distraction are not uncommon.;)

OP
OP
Carwash

Carwash

Señor Member
snorri said:

Thanks for that! Very helpful.

This bit, in particular, is awesome:

...when you get caught while buying a stolen bike, you are guilty of receiving stolen goods. You will not only pay a fine of 220 Euro, but you will get a criminal record as well. ...

If your bike gets stolen, you can buy a cheap bike at the Environmental Health Service (‘Milieudienst’ in Dutch). When you show a copy of the police report of your stolen bike, you can buy a replacement (used) bike every weekday between 7.30 am and 3.30 pm...

OP
OP
Carwash

Carwash

Señor Member
Many thanks to all who responded - I've just returned from a wonderful weekend in Groningen.

I hired a bike from the station (beneath which thousands of bicycles are neatly parked in the cavernous depths) and my friends and I spent a very pleasant time cycling through town and around the villages and ancient farm-mounds to the north west of the city. I found cycling on the right to be not the least bit disorienting. The only problem I had was *remembering* to back-pedal to brake (rather than instinctively reaching for the brake levers, which were not there!) and then stopping such that one pedal ended up in a position that I could start from again. I had a few false starts the first few times I had to pull away!

All in all I had a wonderful time, and enjoyed cycling through the beautiful countryside immensely. :evil:

saddlesoar

I seem to remember that in The Netherlands is it is illegal to use the road if a cycle lane is available (which it nearly always is).

EDIT - Oops, too late.

OP
OP
Carwash

Carwash

Señor Member
saddlesoar said:
I seem to remember that in The Netherlands is it is illegal to use the road if a cycle lane is available (which it nearly always is).

That's correct - in fact I asked my host that very question. Fortunately, the cycle lanes and verges are much better tended than in Britain, so it's not a problem. ;)

mrfacetious

Veteran
it's an offence NOT to lock your bike, and if you report it as being stolen and it's proven you haven't, you can be the one who gets it for wasting police time. No that's not a joke, and yes I know you'd definitely be smart enough to lock it anyway :tongue: just so you know. Also a handy phrase is "sprekt u engels?" as most people DO speak english.
Also you as a cyclist will get right of way EVERYWHERE. Honestly you are uno to other road users. The dutch are a really friendly bunch (though that's a bit biased as I'm half dutch), so you should be fine :smile:
i'm doing my first tour to south holland next summer! :smile: can't wait for it; I love cycling there.

I visit my sisters in Amsterdam every year and cyclists have right of way, any accident between a cyclist and a motorist is always the fault of the motorist, no ifs no buts.
Always but always keep looking over your shoulder for them because they WILL not move for you, even if they are on the pavement.

Top Bottom