Cycling in the Preston Area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I've just recently emigrated from Santa Monica to 'Sunny' Chorley - I was wondering if any of you guys/gals knew of any decent areas to road bike in the Preston/Chorley area.

What's the best tracks, and of course, the best pubs on the way - I rode to Clitheroe last week which was a toughy, but anyhoo any advice would be appreciate

Luv

Lois

xxxx

Welcome Lois

My guess is there are not many emigrees from Santa Monica to Chorley :smile:

I don't know Preston/Chorley but I have a mate who lives and cycles around there. I'll ask his advice, though it might take a bit, he's an elusive bugger to get hold of.

yenrod

Red - head east or look at a map find Winter Hill to ride up it ! You'll love that :blush: - :biggrin: Also, try Anglesarke too you'll like that also or you could try heading for the trough of bowland !

I'm giving you maximum masochistic suggestions here though if you aint that fit skirt around them and the hills wont be as steep !

OR:

Head South West towards Mawdsley/Eccleston thats a nice cycling area pretty queist too so not many motors !

Either way your in a great location there - with great cycling areas ! ! !

Chorley is a place i'd reside in, happily - great cycling.

All the best man !

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...3.641381,-2.458191&spn=0.194579,0.688019&z=11

longers

Legendary Member
What Yenrod said. You're handily placed for the Trough of Bowland.

What brings you to Chorley if thats not being too nosey?

No worries - I got tired of the hussle and bussle living in the states - but mainly due to family reasons.

Anyway - hope the weather holds out this weekend, I hear you guys had a lousy summer - but hopefully it'll be nice this year.

I have heard of Ribble Cycles from a colleague in my organization at work - any good - and where are they?

love

Lois

ps. Thanks for the replies - you guys are great

shinamo

you have lots to go at up there , North , South , East & West . Flat land to the West but enjoyable . I done a bit of work in Chorley worked on Chorley by-pass and that mini roundabout near the prison , Euxton ? And a couple of minor works .Welcome to Britain .

you could do a lot worse than contact http://www.ribblevalleycrc.com/
or head up to the priory at scorton, just off the A6 north of garstang. there are always cyclists there who you could ride with.
you're ideally palced and have a good choice of the flatlands out to the coast or the more "undulating" area around rivington or further north east into the ribble valley,dunsop bridge ( bottom of the trougfh of bowland ,a good circluar ride back through scorton) has a good cafe, slaidburn has two though it's quite hilly round there,and yorkshire dales with good cafes at settle and clapham and probably one of my clubs favourites at blind beck just north of horton in ribblesdale by the railway bridge..
some of these may be a litlte far at this time of year or mean a drive out to whalley,
a ctc clubmate lives in chorley but he doesn't mind the long ride out to meet us, but it adds thirty miles to his clubrun!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Red Hot Chilli Pepper said:
I have heard of Ribble Cycles from a colleague in my organization at work - any good - and where are they?

Ribble Cycles is a love 'em or hate 'em thing for most people. Personally I think there are better cycle shops in the area.

Lois I live just outside Chorley, towards Blackburn. If you'd like to join me for a ride I'd be happy to meet you. There are plenty of routes to chose from. We could do a little circle up over Winter Hill (that's the one with the big TV mast on top, otherside of the M61), down to Belmont and home again (around 21-22 miles) or if you'd like to go further I know a good 50 miler heading out towards Skelmersdale, couple of short but tough hills, and then a long flat meander back through the Ormskirk, Burscough etc.

Post here or send me a PM if you're interested. I'm busy kart racing Saturday with my youngest but could be around Sunday.

shinamo

the Malt n Hops sells Hoegarden on draft ( a Belgian beer ) delicious , well it used to . Is that the one under the railway bridge ? If you drop down fruhstuck on the A570 as you approach the A580 (which I can well understand you avoid ) there is a lane on the left called Crank road wander back that way sometime , it is a pleasure , takes you back to Billinge or Orrell . Of course the Leeds - Liverpool canal is picked up at the " Ship " at Burscough . my stomping ground .

walker

Red Hot Chilli Pepper said:
No worries - I got tired of the hussle and bussle living in the states - but mainly due to family reasons.

Anyway - hope the weather holds out this weekend, I hear you guys had a lousy summer - but hopefully it'll be nice this year.

love

Lois

ps. Thanks for the replies - you guys are great

I would of got the family shipped out to me rather than come here:biggrin:

good luck in your new ventures

postman

Legendary Member
Hello my in laws live in Goosnargh.Get some cycling leaflets from the city council.They will send you loads of ideas.

stephec

Legendary Member
What kind of riding are you into, road or mtb?

Rivington and Belmont have some good tracks, but on a summers weekend the whole area gets clogged up with day trippers.

If it's road you're after then there's these guys -

http://lancsroadclub.org.uk/

I'm a member so I might be a bit biased here, there's nearly 200 members, from 1st cat top quality racers down to people like me who are more interested in the social side of riding. The racing side of the club is very strong with training rides meeting just down the road from you at the Bolton Arena, the Sunday club runs sometimes come past your way and have pick up points at Astley park in Chorley, or Walton bridge on the southern edge of Preston town centre.

Over to the west of you is the Lancashire plains, plenty of backroads to explore towards Rufford and Tarleton, get yourself a map and go out and get lost one day, there's some great routes. :biggrin:

Top Bottom