Cycling in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're dressed properly, then it's no worse in winter. This ride was pretty cold:

hail_small.jpg

Trikes are better for bad weather and recumbent trikes can also take a fairing which solves a lot of the foot problems.

P1054855.jpg

P1070053.jpg

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Talking about cold rides, this was the coldest one I'v yet done in London, -8 deg. C.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G89nCk17PoQ

Plax

Guru
It depends on the season with me if I like it when it rains. In the winter sometimes I like going out on a leisure ride on my winter hack fully kitted up in waterproofs and warm clothes. That's quite fun when you deliberately cycle through all the puddles. Commuting in the rain is not so much fun in winter as it's a faff once you get to work sorting out all your wet kit.

In the summer I don't bother with waterproofs as I get too hot. I don't mind it in the summer if I get rained on as I wear quick drying shorts, spd sandals and a s/s top so I dry fast enough.

It's a complete sod touring in the rain though. Last time I went cycle camping for the weekend it poured it down for the entire 50 mile ride to the campsite. I took my trousers off in the end and just wore my lycra shorts and a rain jacket over my s/s top. Didn't really want to wear my jacket but on such a long ride the wet starts to chill you after a while. Then it's a right bugger putting a tent up in the rain with the wind blowing stuff everywhere. Inner first pitch too. Nothing dried either. Thankfully I had the foresight to bring a second set of dry clothes and once the tent was up in my nice and dry and warm in there!

laertes

I dont mind cycling in the rain, as I usually have a shower and a change of clothes waiting for me at the other end. Also, if I think rain is expected on the way to work, I bring a spare shirt and socks for the trip home. This week, however, my previously waterproof rucksack let me down, so not only were my "spares" soaked, but also the underwear and socks I had brought with me for work. Spent 3 hours sitting in wet undies until they finally dried off. xx(:rain:

If it starts raining mid ride, that's just plain rude :tongue: Getting waterproofs on at the roadside is a right PITA

My top tends to go on first, when can be done whilst moving, not that I would advocate that of course.

Though, I never put it on when it just starts - just in case that is all it is (often is), and by time there is enough that I might consider putting it on, im usually already wet enough as it is.

So as long as I am warm, I don't change mid ride.

Legs dry faster than trousers so bottom half doesn't get covered up, unless its below 0, sometimes I still don't bother though.

Top Bottom