Cycling in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

I used to commute in my work clothes some time ago, my commute was shorter then. If I was to do it again I'd keep some spare stuff at work for when it rained. I didn't back then though. On one occasion that I got really soaked I spent the day wearing an old boiler suit and some safety boots while I dried my stuff in an incubator.

I am planning to do that when I start my new job next month, but for now I'm just office temping so it's not really doable. I'm just glad I'm doing the temping in summer, it would be awful if I turned up looking and feeling like a drowned rat every single day.

Edited to clarify: I plan to keep spare clothes at work, not to work in an old boiler suit and some safety boots.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I hate cycling in the rain.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
[QUOTE 1159062"]
What I don't like about the heavy rain is that it makes it more difficult for drivers to see you.
[/quote]

Get some lights, simple really...

OP
OP
jdrussell

jdrussell

I seem to be one of the lucky few then that have showers at work. The work one is better than my own one at home !!

I just change there. Clothes are in my rucksack ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
4 days a week, I have the 'advantage' that if I get wet on the way in to work, it doesn't matter, because I'll only get wetter working anyway. ;)

139NI

So this week in London I have been properly caught in an absolute downpour twice.

I love it.

I initially think oh this is gonna leave a mark but then I start to really enjoy it. Yesterdays downpour in London was great.

Anyone else ?

I know what you mean - but perhaps only in JUNE/JULY/AUGUST eh?!

Have you tried the same in NOVEMBER for instance?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you're dressed properly, then it's no worse in winter. This ride was pretty cold:

hail_small.jpg

Tynan

Veteran
overshoes to stop the shoes getting soaked is the only thing to do differently, perhaps a gillet if it's cold

jollyrog

It was a pleasure cycling in the rain this week. It kept the seasonal rusty chain muppets off the roads and my journey was a dream without them.

Roll on November, please.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I know what you mean - but perhaps only in JUNE/JULY/AUGUST eh?!

Have you tried the same in NOVEMBER for instance?

I cycle the year round, it really depends if you regard cycling as a legitimate form of transport or as a leisure activity. I have no problem with cycling in the rain, the snow, what ever, just wear appropriate cloths. But then I am not a MAMIL, to me a bicycle is and always has been transport not a toy. :tongue:

GFamily

Über Member
No. On your commute you expect to get soaked, Do i like soggy feet and freezing rain though - No. Do I cycle for fun in the rain - No.

Since April I've been keeping track of whenever I have a wet commute either morning or evening. I've never had more than 3 'wet's in a week, and one of those was only a drizzle so doesn't really count.

Got smashing wet last Thursday though in Manchester!!! Had to put lights on front and back
thumbsup.png
, but didn't like the way the brakes pretended to be on holiday
sad.gif

GFamily

Über Member
Got smashing wet last Thursday though in Manchester!!! Had to put lights on front and back
thumbsup.png

Thinks - might find that 'what's in your rucksack' and mention waterproof trousers, 'showerproof*' cycling jacket, peaked cap,

* hesitate to say 'they lied' because it was more than a shower!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I cycle through the rain come winter or summer but enjoy it? Only really in summer when its hot enough to feel refreshed. If its absolutely torrential then I've been known to take shelter and watch with a smile on my face - if there is that much coming down then you can't see the road surface properly and motorists can't get their windscreen wipers going fast enough - but you don't generally experience that sort of rain more than a couple of times a year.

I guess I would be happier if I could manage dry feet and dry me... I've noticed my current waterproof now seems to be leaking again...

One thing about the rain - its when the city grinds to a halt (as motorists have to take the car in case they melt), and cycling is definitely the fastest way around.

[QUOTE 1159062"]
What I don't like about the heavy rain is that it makes it more difficult for drivers to see you.
[/quote]

I treat rain as being dark.

I always use my full lighting kit in rain - no excuse for not seeing me.

Top Bottom