Cycling in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrussell

So this week in London I have been properly caught in an absolute downpour twice.

I love it.

I initially think oh this is gonna leave a mark but then I start to really enjoy it. Yesterdays downpour in London was great.

Anyone else ?

Downward

Guru
No. On your commute you expect to get soaked, Do i like soggy feet and freezing rain though - No. Do I cycle for fun in the rain - No.

At least when it's cold you can waterproof up and stay dry and not boil but when it's 20 degrees you don't want to be wearing your full waterproofs

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So this week in London I have been properly caught in an absolute downpour twice.

I love it.

I initially think oh this is gonna leave a mark but then I start to really enjoy it. Yesterdays downpour in London was great.

Anyone else ?

There are times when cycling in the rain can be an absolute hoot, as long as you're not cold, properly kitted and it doesn't matter if you're wet or not.
Otherwise it can be an utter pain.
Attitude is everything!

rusky

CC Addict
I don't mind on the way home as I know there's a hot shower & a change of clothes.

On the way to work, if it's raining when I set off it's a bit of a faff getting waterproof kit on & I do tend to end up hot & clammy but not too bad. I would prefer rain to wid though!

If it starts raining mid ride, that's just plain rude :tongue: Getting waterproofs on at the roadside is a right PITA

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Rain on the commute is OK, it can even be fun. In the summer I don't bother with a jacket unless its actually a bit chilly.

Non-cycling colleagues often don't get it.

They might offer me a lift (and miss this?) or say "ooh, you'll need your waterproofs" (ooh, you'll need your windscreen wipers)

Rain for three solid days while touring not so much fun. Even less so in December when you've lost your left overshoe.

Chamfus Flange

Of road last night. Continual downpour, two putches, issues with padels on one bike and one rear brake not working. Mud every where and I mean everywhere. Couldn't be happier!

nich

biggrin.gif

- Watching peds take cover in buildings. Almost in tears as they try to avoid a bit of rain
- Getting wet! Shorts all year round for me :tongue: I never get cold on the bike so welcome a bit of water/cooling
- Washes away the sweat on my face
- The intense concentration needed in traffic in a heavy downpour. It's one of the biggest adrenaline rushes I get on the bike.

sad.gif

- Danger danger! Not had a moment where I've lost grip yet, but it's on my mind every time it rains
- My brakes just give up on me and barely work (these are 105's with black koolstops).
- Bike gets covered in 'stuff'. While I don't mind this, I think washing it would annoy me day after day after day.
- Takes forever to dry out my shoes

I love the rain....It shuts the idiots up next door.:thumbsup:

Hope it rains tomorrow on my day off.:tongue:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
This recent rainy spell has shown me that my Armadillos are not as sketchy in the wet as I once believed, they've been fine. I rode my TT bike on thursday- whoo! tyres on that are proper sketchy, had the back end sliding around all over the place.

Stephenite

Membå
I got absolutely soaked one day last week in a torrential downpour.

I'd predicted it was going to rain and was wearing a waterproof jacket. But after a couple of miles i was sweating cobs, so took it off. Minutes later, the heavens opened and it was like standing in the shower. Thoroughly wet after a couple of minutes, huge rain drops, roads had turned to rivers. 6 inch deep puddles which i ploughed through in high gear on my bomb-proof Jake The Snake.

Loved it.

But avoided cycling to work in the rain a couple of days this week as it's a pain drying things off for the return journey. Ok, a bit of a wuss.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
- Danger danger! Not had a moment where I've lost grip yet, but it's on my mind every time it rains
- My brakes just give up on me and barely work (these are 105's with black koolstops).
- Bike gets covered in 'stuff'. While I don't mind this, I think washing it would annoy me day after day after day.
- Takes forever to dry out my shoes

Try some softer compound brake pads.

The "stuff" is another thing altogether. I hate the grey ink that ends up on the rims. One day I'll get a commute bike with discs.

Stuff them with newspaper to accelerate drying. I like to have two pairs.

taxing

I like the actual ride, but I hate sitting about in wet clothes for hours afterwards. I'm never more miserable than when I'm sitting at work freezing my arse off in wet shoes.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I like the actual ride, but I hate sitting about in wet clothes for hours afterwards. I'm never more miserable than when I'm sitting at work freezing my arse off in wet shoes.

I used to commute in my work clothes some time ago, my commute was shorter then. If I was to do it again I'd keep some spare stuff at work for when it rained. I didn't back then though. On one occasion that I got really soaked I spent the day wearing an old boiler suit and some safety boots while I dried my stuff in an incubator.

Top Bottom