cycling in the wind... what speed makes you think 'nah'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was on a Costa Blanca cycling holiday once when the daily ride was cancelled due to dangerously strong winds. I decided to ignore the warnings and went out with a mate. The wind really was nightmarish and we were struggling to ride up to the tunnels leading from Benidorm to above Calpe. As soon as I got to the start of the first tunnel, I hit a wall of wind and was simply unable to ride any further forwards. I was standing on the pedals in a 39/29 gear and using all of my strength but could not move. My legs soon gave way and I was blown off the back of the bike, which took off and headed towards the Armco barrier and the gorge below. I lunged for the bike and managed to pull it back down onto the road ...

At that point, I thought "Nah ..."! :laugh:

We turned and headed back with an amazing tailwind but I was unable to pedal fast enough in my 53/13 top gear. I managed to spin up to 120 rpm which corresponded to 40 mph but then gave up and was doing well over 40 mph freewheeling! (It is a slightly downhill stretch of road.)

When we got back into town, wheelie bins were tumbling past us down the street ...

THAT is definitely too windy to ride in!

tyred

Legendary Member
If I see slates and tree branches flying past the window I think better of it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
In winter.......15 mph is usually my max if on the road. 20ish mph is OK if down the paths etc. but they have been too muddy (for me) lately.
IMO gusting wind of 20 mph can be dangerous as it can come sideways and catch you by surprise.
In summer I can handle stronger winds e.g. if I take the bike to the wirral etc. but pleasure is a big part of my cycling and strong wind does tend to take the pleasure out of it.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Never really bothered me on the commute. A pleasurable weekend ride it would be a different case, but picking a flat circular route is better than hotting the hills in windy weather
same here.. i cycle every day to work and the weather doesn't bother me, it's the rides where I'm supposed to enjoy the journey that i start thinking about the wind speed.

Depends on many factors. Very gusty winds in built up areas can be nasty as a sudden lost of wind shadow can be hard to predict. Choice of wheels of course makes a big difference. Anything with a 50mm or higher profile can certainly prove challenging in a cross-wind. We had 40+ mph on the first Sportive I did last year and that was hard work but OK. I'm pretty sure it cause one poor soul to have to stop though (he had these very deep carbon rims on which must have been a nightmare).

Also road conditions, lots of wind on an empty road is OK. On a busy road with fast moving traffic or a narrow canal towpath ...less so.

Kajjal

Guru
Is a much the type of wind as the speed. A strong gusting wind can be very dangerous as it is very unpredictable. A strong constant wind is easier to ride in but gaps in hedges, buildings etc. make things harder.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Most of my cycling is commuting. I can't avoid the wind nor the direction of my travel. I stopped worrying about the wind and rain a long time ago.

Also, after a cycle tour in the Netherlands last year (ferocious and constant headwind) I'll never moan about the wind again.

Jimidh

Veteran
There's nothing like feeling a strong wind at your back as you fly along feeling like Eddie Merckx but then turn the corner and suddenly you are Eddie the Eagle.

Seriously I don't think I have a limit as actually I find riding in the wind a challenge and its great for training but there are days particularly when the wind is very gusty it becomes more dangerous especially on the roads. On those days it's out on the trails on the MTB.

SD1

None. BUT it is normally behind me on the way home. Also a 50 mph crosswind is only 50 mph crosswind when there's no hedge. Gaps in the hedge can be a bugger if your not paying attention!
I might just think twice about cycling into a head wind if rain or worse still hail was expected. Alas I rarely check weather forecasts and as I live in a valley I don't actually know its a strong wind until I get up a very short but steep hill. It is then to late, I have made the decision and there is no turning back.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Depends, i'd ride to work in a hurricane (fark knows why, no-one really benefits from this), but I'd skip an evening 10 in an 8 mph wind (unless it was one of those strange nights when it was blowing in the right direction).

Even when I did turn up I'd moan about the wind, everyone else seemed to be doing it.

Top Bottom