Cycling Infrastructure Dissertation Questionnaire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WattBlair

Hi there,
I'm currently finishing my 4th of uni and for my honours project I'm doing a questionnaire on the safety of cycling infrastructure.
If anyone could fill out the questionnaire it would be greatly appreciated. It has 19 questions and will take approximately 5-10 mins to complete.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/M2NDJ63

Kind Regards
Blair Watt
Student at Edinburgh Napier University

Reactions: _aD
Hi Blair - wee technical problem? Maybe it's my computer, but the photos are severely distorted on the form. I can use view image, but then flicking back to the form, I lose all the answers I've entered.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Done. The photos aren't ideal but you can see clearly enough what they represent.

Those mini orca things look scary. I once took a nasty tumble on the Severn Bridge when my front wheel failed to clear a dome-shaped white line newly painted to separate pedestrians from two-wheelers. "Following guidelines" was the response, but it disappeared very quickly.

A "comments" box would be helpful as some of may answers are "skewed"

I ride a trike, and therefore the segregated tracks are lethal. They are usually too narrow to fit the trike, and even when they allow the trike it takes up most of the room and makes it difficult for oncoming cyclists

I avoid them like the plague

Done. The photos aren't ideal but you can see clearly enough what they represent.

Those mini orca things look scary. I once took a nasty tumble on the Severn Bridge when my front wheel failed to clear a dome-shaped white line newly painted to separate pedestrians from two-wheelers. "Following guidelines" was the response, but it disappeared very quickly.

Previously known as "Armadillos"... and you are not alone in your concerns

The motorcycle world has been against them as well for many years

An interesting series of tests from the BMF

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Those mini orca things look scary.
Yep, they had these things along part of my route to separate a cycle lane. I never used it and I stayed well away from them. I flagged them up as dangerous to TfL and they vanished soon afterwards. Don't know if that was me or just coincidence.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Nobody mentioned those nice wide, coloured cycle-lanes we already have. OK buses, taxis wnd motorcycles (sadly) can use them, but they are much better than most so-called cycle infrastructure.
Most have too narrow lanes and poor junctions. Roads are generally more useful.

Low kerbs, Armadillos and the like are accidents waiting to happen.

Safe roads are the answer.

This is just a comment not a criticism.
Is this the only place you are asking for your survey to be competed? If so the results could be biased. You are likely to find users of a cycling forum are fairly confident road users who avoid using cycling infrastructure that's been poorly thought out.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you have not done so already. I would also look at cycling infrastructures in Holland and Denmark. Denmark has certainly got it right.

Using the UK as a model is a two edged sword. It is all you have to work with but it could be much better.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would liked to have commented on individual answers to explain why I'd given a particular answer.

I'm happy using the road but I often enjoy cycling on cyclepaths away from traffic for the quieter cycling experience, and more greenery increasing my enjoyment. Lack of cycle infrastructure is unlikely to put me off cycling somewhere, but it's how enjoyable I will find the experience changes in different environments.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Some questions:

What's the difference between wouldn't make any safer and wouldn't make a difference?

What do you mean about lighting conditions on a cycle track affecting my decision to cycle? Do you mean my decision to cycle on that particular track, or to cycle at all?

Will you be asking pedestrians their opinion on perceptions of safety when using shared or segregated paths? After all, they are the vulnerable ones in that situation.

Is your aim to investigate safety, or the perception of safety?

Drago

Legendary Member
Bottom line is there's virtually nowhere I feel unsafe - i'll either cycle it, or I won't, no if's, but's or maybe's based upon signage, markings or kerby bits.

Top Bottom