Cycling insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I can't commit that sort of money. Certainly not enough to make me secure if my uninsured house were to burn down! I'll stick with premium bonds and cross my fingers. I don't understand the stock market and am not prepared to gamble my life savings

Insuring your house is sensible, because you can't afford to replace it and for most of us would mean financial ruin. Anything you can afford to replace, albeit it would hurt somewhat, you should self-insure as it's cheaper. How many thousands of pounds the cut off between - "ouch" and financial ruin is an individual calculation. I've got a lot of stuff which could get nicked, but ensuring it all for all risks would cost a lot, so it's cheaper to take the risk - over the last few years this has saved me enough to replace any one or two big ticket items. I do have contents insurance in case the house burns down and I lost the lot - which would be a little more than a mere "ouch".

vickster

Legendary Member
As I said, I'd rather pay £50 a year max to insure £4000 of bikes. Indeed I doubt gone bike element of my buildings and contents insurance is that much as I pay £300 a year for the lot. That's a night out or a shirt, 4k isn't. I'm now repeating myself so that's me out here

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Insure your bikes on your Home and Contents policy if you can. We have £1500 of bike cover for an extra £22 or so, and most importantly, they don't have the clever "weasel clauses" in the small print about parking at railway stations, abandonment, specified bike locks etc that the cycle-specific shysters have. You have to read the small print! The downside of putting it on a Contents policy is that if you claim, you may lose some No Claims Bonus. The insurance industry is limitlessly grubby...beware!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As I said, I'd rather pay £50 a year max to insure £4000 of bikes. Indeed I doubt gone bike element of my buildings and contents insurance is that much as I pay £300 a year for the lot. That's a night out or a shirt, 4k isn't. I'm now repeating myself so that's me out here

I must admit, that despite being insurance-sceptical I'd probably see that as a good deal; a good bet, if you like - and i mean "a good bet" quite literally.

NorvernRob

Of course you would say that, you beat the system but most people don't.

How much more could you have done to prevent bike theft from your home?

For instance, were each of these bikes D-locked to a ground anchor, or just easy pickings for a willing thief?

The opportunity cost is not really about buying what you have when you are old and decrepit, but saving your expense now knowing what it could be doing instead.

I didn't have any bikes stolen in the burglary.

If you know anywhere that sells ground anchors for TV's or Hi Fi equipment I'm all ears.

Top Bottom