Cycling laws to be overhauled.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I can see it coming.

I saw that.....

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone else tried to register a pedal cycle. Not too easy.

In theory, it should be possible. The rules were/are there. Just connecting the rules proved the hard part.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 5349137, member: 9609"]
but unfairness could be argued to already exist - Lorry driver and Teacher get caught drink driving in a car, one of those will loose their job as well as the right to drive.[/QUOTE]
I assume you mean the teacher, it didn't seem to be a problem for Dennis Putz

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Puts me in mind of this film:

719W2gM0k7L._SX342_.jpg

Anyone remember?

Mr Briggs calls in the LTDA on Twitter!
Please RT: Could I call upon the fine men & women of the @TheLTDA black cab trade to contribute to the consultation on new cycling laws? And thank you for the continued support & kindness you show me #londontaxis #kimbriggs
I saw that and was glad to note that the cycling Twitterati leapt on it. Asking the LTDA for support in your road safety campaign is like asking Donald Trump to guard a cheeseburger.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Signed and sent both emails.

snorri

Legendary Member
DfT Open Consultation
https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...-causing-death-or-serious-injury-when-cycling

It would appear that the culpable homicide law in Scotland is already adequate to deal with naughty cyclists, although incidents are so rare that the law in relation to cyclists is seldom tested.
'The last prosecution of a cyclist for culpable and reckless conduct reported in the law reports was in 1956 in Scotland.'

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
DfT Open Consultation
https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...-causing-death-or-serious-injury-when-cycling

It would appear that the culpable homicide law in Scotland is already adequate to deal with naughty cyclists, although incidents are so rare that the law in relation to cyclists is seldom tested.
'The last prosecution of a cyclist for culpable and reckless conduct reported in the law reports was in 1956 in Scotland.'
Have you completed the consultation?

Drivers may be banned from driving for committing a current cycling offence. Minimum driving disqualification periods currently apply under the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988. For drivers this is currently 2 years for causing death or serious injury, 1 year for causing death by careless driving. Do you think this should also apply to any of the new offences proposed in this consultation?

Is this already a thing or am I misunderstanding that cyclists who drive could be banned from driving for an offence on a bike?

snorri

Legendary Member
Have you completed the consultation?
Is this already a thing or am I misunderstanding that cyclists who drive could be banned from driving for an offence on a bike?
a) Not yet, it's a bit heavy going, and I'm no legal expert!
b) It would appear that way, this is something new. A naughty cyclist who holds a driving licence could receive a double penalty, ie a fine and a driving ban, whereas a non driving cyclist would only receive a fine, seems unreasonable.
Should naughty drivers face a cycling ban as well as a fine for their driving offence?
This consultation needs some legal expertise to translate for the masses:smile:.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
a) Not yet, it's a bit heavy going, and I'm no legal expert!
b) It would appear that way, this is something new. A naughty cyclist who holds a driving licence could receive a double penalty, ie a fine and a driving ban, whereas a non driving cyclist would only receive a fine, seems unreasonable.
Should naughty drivers face a cycling ban as well as a fine for their driving offence?
This consultation needs some legal expertise to translate for the masses:smile:.
I completed it but included the questions you mention and a few others.

Thanks for posting the link.

Top Bottom