Cycling + MS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scots_lass

I have a friend who has MS (she is in her fifties). It can leave her very tired and she can have problems with her balance. She is keen to take up cycling but doesn't know if it is within her capabilities. I have suggested that she borrows a bike and has a go to see what happens. Has anyone got any experience of cycling with MS or know someone who does? Any help or encouragement welcome.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sorry I can't help on the MS front but she could try a trike instead of a traditional bicycle if the balance is an issue. No idea if you can get battery powered ones though.

byegad

Legendary Member
An upright trike is quite an unstable ride, you need to be prepared to lean into the corner at any kind of speed and road camber can make the ride 'fun'.

Try a delta recumbent like a Kettwiesel, Hase, the makers, offer lots of adaptations for less able riders and it can be fitted with a Heizmann motor. Be warned this will not be cheap!!

Jonathan M

If there is a forum accessible via the MS society then you may be more likely to get cycling specific info there, rather than seek MS info on a cycling webiste.

I've been in a simialr position recently needing to find out exercise info regarding a newly diagnosed medical condition, so I've used an appropriate website (Macmillan Cancer Backup) rather than post here; not becuase I wouldn't get quality answers here, more that I was after condition specific info related to exercise in general.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi
Guy who organises our training runs (Early 50's) was diagnosed about 4 years ago with MS. He was a very keen cyclist, doing LEJOG's solo in 5 days and the 1200km Paris-Brest-Parsi, so a real keeny, however he had to give-up riding about 2 years back, though I'm not sure it was balance related necessarily, but he'd lost the will as he found it very hard to have any kind of useful (in his terms) form. He still rides a motorbike though. His other passion was the Euphonium but he is finding that hard now too.
I'm afraid this is not heartening, but is the only case of a cyclist with MS that I know. The condition may vary in it's rate of onset with different people and my friend may be unlucky, but it is sad to see how he has deteriorated (he still organises the club training and does the timing and handicaps). He has great strength of character and is a weekly inspiration.
I guess what I'm thinking is that it's hard to predict the pattern of events for your friend, but she may find that she takes to cycling like a duck to water and then find it difficult in a short time period to continue. I wish I could be more cheery :laugh:

It all depends on what kind she has if it is the same as me she will be fine but she will find bits become harder for a week or so and then go back to normal. But if she has the over kind? all I can say is get her on a bike now before she will not be able to and at least she would of given it a go.

Good luck

OP
OP
scots_lass

scots_lass

Thanks everyone for your replies. Guess we will have to give it a go and see how she goes. I just didn't want to rain on her parade as she does seem keen.
Scots_lass

I had forgot that Sheldon Brown RIP had MS

spiro

Try speaking to Kevin at D.Tek. I know he does work with people who want to cycle but have issues with balance, disabilities etc. He sorted out a guy with a trike who had lost one arm to a lion when he worked at a circus.

just4fun

i wish your friend the best, whilst by no means the most knowledgable person i did work in an MS care home and have learnt a bit. i would firstly advise a 3 wheeled bike as its quite possible (i dont know the individual) that the vertigo can come and go at unexpected times. in this instance there is less chance of a fall if you friend is cycling at the onset of a bout of vertigo. If a trike/recumbent is out of the question i would advise an electric bike so that if your friends fatigue gets too bad they can still be out on the bike, or more importantly get home safely without using up precious energy.

Cycling is very good for maintaining a persons 'active range of movement' of lower limbs and the physio i worked with was keen to get patients at our ms care home to use a peddling machine. this was aimed at keeping the muscles and joints working so as to reduce the risk of perminent muscle contractions occouring.

spendex also raises a very valid point

Top Bottom