Cycling muscles - Where should they be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After all the training and the actual Amsterdame ride itself, I proudly announced that my thighs were a lot more muscled and toned, a very marginal improvement was noticeable on the calves. However, my friend then informed me that not only have her thighs and calves improved, no, she's also got a firmer bum and her arms have tightened up. I haven't used my bum muscles in my whole life while cycling, in fact, on our last ride I desperately tried to find a position where I would, but to no avail. Has one of us just got a funny cycling style? I want a toned backside and arms too! xx(

bonj2

punkypossum said:
After all the training and the actual Amsterdame ride itself, I proudly announced that my thighs were a lot more muscled and toned, a very marginal improvement was noticeable on the calves. However, my friend then informed me that not only have her thighs and calves improved, no, she's also got a firmer bum and her arms have tightened up. I haven't used my bum muscles in my whole life while cycling, in fact, on our last ride I desperately tried to find a position where I would, but to no avail. Has one of us just got a funny cycling style? I want a toned backside and arms too! xx(

well you should - you'd go faster.

col

Legendary Member
In the seated position,you will find you use your bum muscles anyway,they help push your legs down on the pedals.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
DanRVV2006 said:
Do you sit quite upright on your bike???
If you do it might be an idea to bend over more to use more muscles including your bum!

I'm fairly upright as it is a mountain bike, but the newly toned friend is even more upright, so it all doesn't make any sense really...

Unless of course my bum is so toned anyway that I don't notice I'm using it... :smile:

punkypossum said:
I'm fairly upright as it is a mountain bike, but the newly toned friend is even more upright, so it all doesn't make any sense really...

Unless of course my bum is so toned anyway that I don't notice I'm using it... ;)

yes, im sure your bum is lovely and toned already... so it doesnt need any more toning!

walker

punkypossum said:

Unless of course my bum is so toned anyway that I don't notice I'm using it... :biggrin:

is she out of the saddle more than you though? being out of the saddle would use your glutus maximus to more effect than being in the saddle. in a more upright position you would be using your obliques and Abdominals more than your derreir

col

Legendary Member
Just a simple thing of putting max effort in will make a difference to you,sounds like you have hit a peak and dont go passed it,get on the longest hill you can find and stay seated giving it some,you will feel it more then.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
walker said:
is she out of the saddle more than you though? being out of the saddle would use your glutus maximus to more effect than being in the saddle. in a more upright position you would be using your obliques and Abdominals more than your derreir

No, she falls over if she stays out of the saddle...:rolleyes: don't seem to use my abdominals either, but might try standing up a bit more, see if that works... Otherwise, I'll just have to settle for thighs of steel...:angry:

ASC1951

Guru
punkypossum said:
I haven't used my bum muscles in my whole life while cycling,......I want a toned backside and arms too! :smile:
Riding fixed will sort that out for you, Punky. You will find that it is more efficient to stay in the saddle as long as you can and, when you can't, you will use your arms a lot.

If your part of "your own little planet" has plenty of undulating rides plus some short-burst hills, by the end of the summer you will have a backside and arms you will be proud to display on MySpace. 1000 miles on a 46 x 18 should do it.

The toning will reach also reach inwards as you absorb the Zen-like oneness of cycle and rider that comes with a fixed wheel.....

Top Bottom