Cycling myths or common-knowledge you'd like to see dispelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're saying that lots of bike lights are now often too bright (which is fair comment), I think I should also point out that

*car* lights have gotten a lot brighter too. Just to be balanced, like Auntie Beeb teaches us :P
at the risk of a divert, I've never been dazzled to near blindness on my bike by a car. Which may be partly explained by the fact that car lights aren't routinely promoted as "retina-burning" or whatever.

OP
OP
TempleDancer

TempleDancer

Singlespeed bikes wear their drivetrain components more slowly so they last longer/need less maintenance.

I did about 8,000 miles on my original SS chainring and rear sprocket before changing them out. I'm not sure how that compares to geared bikes as it's been that long since I owned one.

I did about 8,000 miles on my original SS chainring and rear sprocket before changing them out. I'm not sure how that compares to geared bikes as it's been that long since I owned one.
interesting mr/ms/mrs temple, particularly as you started the thread. I skipped physics after O level but can't escape the superstition that with my triples each ring shares the wear - a single ring get the lot, it's always driving. (I do have a single chainring bike - a dahon speed Pro - single on the front with a 7speed cassette on a 3speed hub at the back. Have never worn a front ring so fast. It's now a peril - can only be ridden if I ride ever so steadily - not a good idea to pull away from the lights quickly - I need to change it. And of course I don't have the option to move to another front ring for a more positive drive.

OP
OP
TempleDancer

TempleDancer

interesting mr/ms/mrs temple, particularly as you started the thread. I skipped physics after O level but can't escape the superstition that with my triples each ring shares the wear - a single ring get the lot, it's always driving. (I do have a single chainring bike - a dahon speed Pro - single on the front with a 7speed cassette on a 3speed hub at the back. Have never worn a front ring so fast. It's now a peril - can only be ridden if I ride ever so steadily - not a good idea to pull away from the lights quickly - I need to change it. And of course I don't have the option to move to another front ring for a more positive drive.

As it happens, I have the old one to hand:
DFBEA4D9-435A-445F-87AF-B08C0B67D825.jpeg

It’s not too bad at first glance, but when I fitted a new chain they just wouldn’t mesh properly so it (and the rear sprocket) had to be changed.
That is after multiples of year round commuting with only the most cursory nod to cleaning.

Edit: I guess the counterpoint could be that I produce so few watts that any wear is microscopic.

And it’s Mr TempleDancer.

OP
OP
TempleDancer

TempleDancer

Quite apart from the tyres, there's a lot of "vertical compliance" (whatever that means exactly) in the forks - you can see them flexing right enough. A mm or whatever in the frame proper is negligible in comparison.

I can believe that difference frame materials transmit vibration differently though, but that said, I've only owned steel framed bikes, but they certainly differed from each other in "feel". Uncannily the more expensive bikes did genuinely feel nicer - and I don't think it was just psychology, though it could have been fit as much as superior materials or construction

Yes that is fair, the forks on my Charge twang around a fair bit at speed. But I'm pretty certain the frame itself could support a footbridge with no visually perceptible movement.

My feeling is, that in a blind test with two frames concealed under gaffer tape and cardboard, with the same tyres, saddle, seatpost, bars - you'd get a 50/50 split in those who thought one was more comfortable that the other.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Singlespeed bikes wear their drivetrain components more slowly so they last longer/need less maintenance.
I think it's something to do with the straight chain line and no derailleur to constantly adjust.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
yes, though as you are an inveterate/respected fettler I would be interested in your views on the "feel", "compliance" or whatever sexual-congress suggestive term folk favour of various frame materials. As a non techie I tend to think there is something in it though way less than some folk would have us believe.
Well i have been called worse :laugh:

That's a tough one but there's definitely a difference between the mass produced frames and the small volume makers.

This has been more bought home to me with the latest additions to my fleet.

A few weeks ago i got my hands on a Spa Tourer made with Reynolds 725 and the 45 miles i used that for were an eye opener for sure as i expected a heavy plodder and got a greyhound :laugh:

Well i have been called worse :laugh:

That's a tough one but there's definitely a difference between the mass produced frames and the small volume makers.

This has been more bought home to me with the latest additions to my fleet.

A few weeks ago i got my hands on a Spa Tourer made with Reynolds 725 and the 45 miles i used that for were an eye opener for sure as i expected a heavy plodder and got a greyhound :laugh:
many thanks for that biggs, i always respect your opinion, as I am sure many do, though I fear you have sent yourself back to the gutter/head barely above water by using the term "fleet".

Top Bottom