Cycling myths or common-knowledge you'd like to see dispelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
(If not, then I see your point - cos you're not going to Africa for a while, are you? ;) )

Can't go anywhere at the moment until 9th Nov apart from work, unless you can work from home or "essential shopping"

D

Deleted member 1258

If you get a non repairable puncture on a road bike you can just pull the tube out (or leave it in (why not)) and stuff the tyre full of grass. That will get you home (if 'home' is just round the coroner). With apologies to @Oldhippy ;)

I've actually seen someone do that to to get them home a long time ago.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not a drop bar bike but I put a picture on Flickr last week of my Raleigh Pioneer on a unsealed road covered in leaves and someone commented saying how I must be really brave and skilled to ride such a challenging road without a proper mountain bike and off road tyres.

The road runs alongside a lake shore so is pancake flat, it has a hardpacked surface and I ride it regularly even on slick tyred road bikes and I fail to see why it is such a challenge or why I would need a special bike to ride it :wacko:

I wonder did the commentator notice my Raleigh is built up as a fixed wheel.

I'm old enough to remember doing rough stuff on my "racer" in the days before we had mountain bikes.

Twilkes

Guru
Readers of this thread interested in vertical compliance might well appreciate this article. Please do not sip coffee while reading.
"I was able to tell just by looking at the pictures that the carbon fiber construction and layup yielded a frame that was laterally stiff yet vertically compliant."
bikesnob-2008-dream-bike-shootout

There's a similar example in screenwriting lore: "You could tell from the look on her face that she was thinking about Paris."

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
disc brakes are silent.

Rim brakes are silent

Top Bottom