Cycling on Ice - what is the technique?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well other than don't?

Mostly it wasn't too bad - frosty rather than icy, but came across one part that was a skating rink - luckily I was off the bike already to chat to some friends. But it got me thinking what is the general advice about cycling on ice when you suddenly discover a patch. Or is it enevitable that you will come down?

Mr Pig

Don't.

Cycle slowly, especially next to junctions. Keep cycling in a straight line whenever possible, take corners as wide as you can, and as slow as you can.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is....

Don't cycle anywhere near goo_mason! ;)

bryce

Battersea Park was icy this morning. Just don't turn. At all, especially on slick tyres. Keep your body balanced over both wheels, tending towards the rear. Keep going in a straight line. Feather the back brake to slow down, never the front. Once you've stopped, then change your direction.

If you have to turn, do it gently!

yello

summerdays said:
Well other than don't?

Oh. That kind of leaves me with nothing to say.

Or is it enevitable that you will come down?

Pretty much imo. Tyres make a difference I'd suspect but only in delaying the inevitable! Unless we're talking studded tyres.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The best technique on ice is to have Nokian studded tyres. Otherwise, don't.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Slowly and try not to break - especially when cornering, anticipate corners, minimise the angle of turn you have to do, don't lean as much as you usually do or at all, and don't use clipless - you'll probably need your feet. I did last night. Ride a trike if you've got one! I haven't so it's the Brompton for me... easier to get your feet down. I am also avoiding the really heavily trafficked roads in the early morning - black ice, bikes and large HGVs don't mix. For once I am using a misture of back roads and cycle routes... the disadvantage of this is there is actually more ice in these areas, but you can enjoy the challenge without having to worry so much about other vehicles. I like the test of cycling skill.

When its icy I tend to slow down and try to make more gentle movements not relying on the brakes as with the above comments and often stay out further into the middle of the lane keeping turning to a minimum and bizarely enough drivers don't seem to mind on day like this. Touch wood (more head tapping) whenever I've had that innevitable fall I've been going very slowly uphill and escaped unhurt.

It's simple - I've broken it down into steps:

1) Slow down
2) Balance the bike and get your weight over the rear
3) Choose your angle of approach and make your way onto the ice
4) Fall off.

Easier and less painful to get off and walk.

Twiggy

Go slowly, wear your high vis and turn your rear light on.

The former should help you avoid falling off, the latter should help drivers see you if you do fall off.

Taking corners wide and slow is also important.
If you've got a mountainbike, use it instead of your road bike.

02GF74

Über Member
avoid it if possible. otherwise as they say; keep bike upright as much as possible to keep the weight even. this means take corners slowly and upright.

many years ago I cycled over ice for 6.5 miles then on the very last turn over a ridge of ice in the centre, coming into the carpark came down heavily on my R hip. got badly bruised and something clicks inside when walking up steep hills, no pain just not a nice feeling ;). that was ona narrow tyred road bike, my commute is on a mtb and I think having wider tyres and wider bars gives more of a warning thus allowing time to correct. having said that I now avoid at all costs.

oh, and a fair bit of my journey is off tarmac which is more forgiving when you fall.

Top Bottom