Cycling on ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
the anorak said:
ha ha, your link doesn't work !!! but them I'm thick for expecting it to

;):rofl::blush::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl::huh: :biggrin::blush:

I'm so thick I hadn't worked that out for myself despite searching for possible alternatives when I couldn't get the link to work:blush::biggrin::blush:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's fairly uncommon to find extensive areas of hard shiny ice on roads. If it crunches you can easily ride over it (you can ride over it if it doesn't, but that does require more care). We were out yesterday with no ill-effects. Round here there are lots of ungritted lanes, and they're great fun in Winter. The only time I swap from road bike to ancient mtb is when the snow's deep enough to stop the former.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Steve Austin said:
DON'T DO IT.

You can't ride on ice.

People from countries with real winters, don't agree with you, have a look at this web site icebike.com, any one for studded tyres? :rolleyes:

There is an absurdly negative attitude to cycling in the UK, even among cyclists... :biggrin:

BlueDog

Veteran
It’s such a beautiful day I decided to put on my warm togs, fill the flask with soup and get out there.

After getting no more than 5 yards from my house, I found out the hard way that council don’t grit or salt the road outside. Ouch! No real pain, just an embarrassing fall in front of the neighbours finished off with a wobbly walk back to the garage :rolleyes::blush:.

Don’t do it!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Checked out route conditions for monday and it looks decidedly dodgy , - 6 at 9 am with untreated roads .hate to try it at 6 am with no street lights.

The last 2 days of work this yera will probably be car jobs so i know i willnot spend x mas in traction.

Jaye

Veteran
Took delivery of new spesh hybrid a few days back and have been itching to get out on it. I couldn't resist any longer and ventured out to my local B&Q store this A.M it was glorious out their :wacko: and the main roads were ice free. Hence my complacency which caused me to go a*#e over elbow on some ice just shy of my destination. :laugh:

Result is
1 sore and cut thumb
1 tender wrist
1 slightly bruised shoulder
And 1 cyclist who was petrified all the way home and has learnt his lesson :biggrin:
Leave the ice for skaters and vodka :rolleyes:

As for the bike it appears to be just a broken bar end thankfully.

Take care out their gang.

zacklaws

Guru
Commuted home from work this morning, temperature -6.5C at 0700.

I had to pour warm water over the gear changers and brakes to defrost them and spray with WD40 as they were solid before I set off. My rear light would not turn on as the switch had froze inside, even though it was dry, so I had to strip it down, One of my gloves kept freezing to the handlebars, my moustache kept freezing over and I had to keep twitching my face otherwise it became painfull to do so if I left it too long as it pulled the hairs being matted together. My hands were frozen, so much for Altura Night vision gloves. I could not change gear on the front deraileur as it became froze over.

Managed to get home with no drama's apart from my backend wanting to overtake the front going downhill.

GrasB

Veteran
Ian H said:
It's fairly uncommon to find extensive areas of hard shiny ice on roads. If it crunches you can easily ride over it (you can ride over it if it doesn't, but that does require more care). We were out yesterday with no ill-effects. Round here there are lots of ungritted lanes, and they're great fun in Winter. The only time I swap from road bike to ancient mtb is when the snow's deep enough to stop the former.
It's not so much large amounts of it, it's more like where it is. I rode up a back road that has a short sections, sub 20 meter, at over 10%. The road was covered in packed snow... With the studded tyres on I just got out the saddle & climbed... love to see climb that on normal road tyres. Black ice? Not a problem but it was for the people in front & behind me though, thankfully they were in a cars.

Jaye

Veteran
zacklaws said:

I had to pour warm water over the gear changers and brakes to defrost them and spray with WD40 as they were solid before I set off. My rear light would not turn on as the switch had froze inside, even though it was dry, so I had to strip it down, One of my gloves kept freezing to the handlebars, my moustache kept freezing over and I had to keep twitching my face otherwise it became painfull to do so if I left it too long as it pulled the hairs being matted together. My hands were frozen, so much for Altura Night vision gloves. I could not change gear on the front deraileur as it became froze over.

Managed to get home with no drama's apart from my backend wanting to overtake the front going downhill.

Crikey old bean I take my hat off to you. That shows extreme courage, daring, dauntlessness, indomitability and 1 massive set of balls either that are you're mad as a bag of snakes.

Was you wearing asbestos underwear?

:rolleyes:

zacklaws said:

My hero :rolleyes:. I'm off home to south cave in a couple of hours... but it's a lot warmer now than it was...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:

Lunatic.
Bonkers.
Mad as a bucketful of frogs.

Pick one. :wacko:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
zacklaws said:

Dedication above and beyond the call of duty. Why put yourself through such torture?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'll be out for the Wednesday night club ride. I think I'll put some beartrap pedals on the bike though because last time I rode in snow the SPDs got clogged with ice and stopped working.

Night riding in snow with an HID light is fantastic fun!

Armegatron

Rigid Raider said:
I'll be out for the Wednesday night club ride. I think I'll put some beartrap pedals on the bike though because last time I rode in snow the SPDs got clogged with ice and stopped working.

Night riding in snow with an HID light is fantastic fun!

Might give this a try tonight :becool:

Top Bottom