Cycling on ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

So it looks like it will be my first time cycling on ice tomorrow :ohmy:
From what I've read, I should go slower, not use the front brake, and not get out the saddle.

I was wondering, would letting air out the tyres make cycling on ice better or worse? How much air should I let out?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
on an mtb, you should be ok. run the chunkiest tyres you have, at the lowest tyre pressure you can get away with. be prepared to do motocross style slides to help with grip. if you are on a roady, i wouldn't risk it unless you have no other choice. i went out earlier on my brommie and had very little control and i'm quite good at mtb skills in the slippy shitty mud we have up here all year round.

GrasB

Veteran
shauncollier said:
on an mtb, you should be ok. run the chunkiest tyres you have, at the lowest tyre pressure you can get away with. be prepared to do motocross style slides to help with grip. if you are on a roady, i wouldn't risk it unless you have no other choice. i went out earlier on my brommie and had very little control and i'm quite good at mtb skills in the slippy shitty mud we have up here all year round.
+1 unless you have studded tyres on anything excluding a trike really.

Oddly you'll typically find me out of the saddle at 40-60ppm on a 80 to 90" gear as I tend to find I have better balance & control of my pedal pressure like that. I also don't roll the bike from side to side but rather keep smooth consistent pedal pressure. As you say, do not use the front brake.

This is not me, but I have the same machine (Catrike Expedition) and you get the gist...

I would not be without the Trike as it enables me to ride in conditions I would never consider on two wheels

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Roadie on the Road on ice today.

OK, well gritted main roads ONLY, but still arrived safely.

Will post later if I get home OK. Otherwise, please send flowers to Selly Oak Hospital A&E.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've always said I Don't Do Ice, period. But sometimes you don't fully know what you're getting into till you're out there. This morning proved to be a lot icier than I'd anticipated, and on a fixie, with spds, on slicks, it was all a bit...well, interesting. I don't think I'd make a habit of it (and I'm not greatly looking forward to the run home tonight).

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Are you going out 'looking' for ice to ride on?
:thumbsup:
Is it worth the risk of a crash even slo speed and a bruised sore hip for weeks...?
Up to you

Chrisc

Guru
Used the motorbike today...ooer missus..:laugh:
Let a bit of air out to increase the contact patch. Till you can squash it with your thumb fairly easily.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Inuit have about 50 words for different types of snow and ice; you also need to learn to descriminate between what's a rideable quality and what's not. Basically anything rough or soft will give your tyres grip but smooth water ice will not and you could break a wrist or a hip, so don't do it. Really. You can't stay upright on smooth sheet water ice.

There's no point in deflating tyres as harder tyres will dig down and find more grip. Narrower tyres are better for the same reason - this is why a 1948 Land Rover Series 1 with tiddly narrow wheels is better on slippery ground than a high-tech Range Rover. The idea about deflating tyres is bollocks, you reduce the ground pressure and make it more likely that you will skid.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bet the Alpine French, Swiss or Germans have about 10 different words for different qualities of snow and ice. Given time I reckon I could give you them too.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just keep to the main roads which should be gritted and you'll be fine, just take it easy, give your self time, don't brake or turn sharply. Just common sense really.

Top Bottom