Cycling on 'N' Roads in spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aliozoila

I'm going to Tarifa (The most southern point of Spain) in June. Our hotel is about 5 miles away from the beaches and town, so we were looking into hiring bikes to get there... Looking at the route the road is N-340 and looking at it on google maps street view it looks like a motorway/ British A road. I'm a experienced cyclist and have done bigger roads in America, however my partner is not so confident. So I have a couple of questions:

Is it legal to ride on this road to the main town?

If it is would you say it's safe to ride on this road? (Any comparison to British roads would be helpful)

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
An internet search suggests that most Spanish N roads are okay to cycle on. However, caution is advised if the N-road links two major cities as it is likely to be very busy. If your partner is not so confident on busy roads, N-roads might be safe for you but not for them. Are there no smaller roads you can take?

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
this image from Google Streetview of the road suggests there is a hard shoulder that you can ride on. It will depend on the time of day - and whether it's a holiday. I've cycled hundreds of miles on N roads in Spain and mostly they're great - flattish, good tarmac. Sometimes like the N640 they are deserted because the traffic is on a nearby motorway (autovia). And, yes, it's legal - usually.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you American? If so, check out the local road signs. In most of Europe, black bike in red circle means no cycling, white bike in blue circle means you must use the cycleway (not UK yet, which is good because many of ours are substandard and some lethal) and white bike in blue square means you can use the cycleway, while a diagonal line across the sign means the end of the instruction/restriction/option.

It's been a few years (before their helmet law) but I think you can cycle on most Spanish N roads. I'd have backup plans in case they've added restrictions since Google passed it. Traffic levels vary greatly but http://cycle.travel/map usually takes that into account when suggesting routes.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
I`ve cycled on many N-Roads in and around the Costa blanca, and you should be fine , As has already been mentioned, the respect shown to cyclist in Spain is far superior to that shown in the U.K, Plus there are always alternative routes that generally run near to the main route

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Plus there are always alternative routes that generally run near to the main route
Not in my experience.
The Spanish have an unfortunate tendency to obliterate the old road when they upgrade a route, and sometimes there's no alternative but to use what looks like a full on motorway. This is permitted on Autovias (white centre on Michelin maps), where there are no alternatives, but not on Autopistas (yellow centre on Michelin).

Trickedem

Guru
Not in my experience.
The Spanish have an unfortunate tendency to obliterate the old road when they upgrade a route, and sometimes there's no alternative but to use what looks like a full on motorway. This is permitted on Autovias (white centre on Michelin maps), where there are no alternatives, but not on Autopistas (yellow centre on Michelin).
I experienced this. Ended up gougo on the hard shoulder of a motorway for 5 miles on my Andalusian tour. I also could not find a way to get to Malaga airport without using a motorway bridge.
Saying that, riding in Spain is generally delightful

robjh

Legendary Member
I think the OP is talking specifically about the N340 and I can't offer any information there, but in general Spanish N roads vary as much as British A roads, from quietish single-carriageway in lightly populated areas to undeclared motorways.
I rode on a few sections on N roads recently, and a lot of the time they had a strip of 1 to 1.5 metres marked off by a solid white line, which is not explicitly a cycle path but can serve as such. This advantage was however partially offset by the steep roadside ditches that would have presented a danger should you for whatever reason veer off the road. I was mainly on the more lightly-used kind, and the traffic was respectful, often crossing the other lane to overtake when it was safe to do so. I did have some hairy moments though with large articulated trucks that passed me close when there was oncoming traffic, and the turbulence gave me serious cause for concern.

This picture shows the roadside strip and the ditch, and how quiet the roads could sometimes be. The siesta hours, from about 1 to 4pm, were a good time for quieter roads.
20180402 (15) N234 on way to Soria.JPG

robing

Über Member
I experienced this. Ended up gougo on the hard shoulder of a motorway for 5 miles on my Andalusian tour. I also could not find a way to get to Malaga airport without using a motorway bridge.
Saying that, riding in Spain is generally delightful
Me 3, several times. The road south to Soria is a pain as the lovely quiet N road parallel to the motorway runs out, leaving just a dirt track.
But agree though I love cycling in Spain. The N 630 from Seville to Salamanca is brilliant. It runs parallel to a toll free motorway so is deserted of traffic.

misha

Hi, I've lived in Tarifa for well over 10 years and cycle there every day. It's totally legal to cycle on that road (always with a helmet!). It's quite safe to ride on. The only issue might be the wind. When there is a strong Levante (east wind) it can be a bit of a challenge. Given that your hotel is only 5 miles away, i'd say go for it - no problem. I've seen may pensioners do it during the summer months

Olive Rocker

Hi All, sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but it has relevance to my forthcoming adventure... I intend to cycle from Bilbao to Frigiliana (near Nerja) and I have no experience at all of cycling in Spain. Has anyone done a North-South tour of Spain? What kind of roads are available /best? What would be best type of bike for the road surfaces involved? Is there a 'standard' North coast to south coast route? So many questions....

MarkF

Guru
Hi All, sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but it has relevance to my forthcoming adventure... I intend to cycle from Bilbao to Frigiliana (near Nerja) and I have no experience at all of cycling in Spain. Has anyone done a North-South tour of Spain? What kind of roads are available /best? What would be best type of bike for the road surfaces involved? Is there a 'standard' North coast to south coast route? So many questions....

I rode from Bilbao to Malaga a few years ago, any roads (but Autovias) are good. Depends what time you have, l had lots so wandered on B & C roads using N roads to catch up my partner!

Any bike will do it, l used a Sirrus hybrid.

Regarding an earlier comment, l found that signage/info relating to older roads near to Autovias was removed, but the roads still there and usually practically deserted.

Top Bottom