Cycling on the A595

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dr snuggles
I've ridden the Ulverston to Eskdale stretch (I usually turn right at Eskdale and go over Hardknott). It's a good route.
Just a warning, that the road from Ulpha (where you turn left after the post office) takes you over a very steep climb. It is a real leg/lung buster! Are you ridding fully loaded? Road or mtb gearing?

I'll be taking my specialized sirrus hybrid with panniers but I'm going to make a conscious effort to take as little as possible.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'll be taking my specialized sirrus hybrid with panniers but I'm going to make a conscious effort to take as little as possible.
I reckon you'll be ok on that gearing here's a google map of the bit I mean
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Ul...oid=cHFUQWH0tVr65Oz061zNIg&cbp=12,344.25,,0,0

OP
OP
dr snuggles

Dear god it looks like it never ends! I'll get there though.
I cannot thank everybody enough for the very useful replies. I've taken it all on board and I'm 100% certain I'll take this route thanks to everybody's help.

toekneep

This is really useful stuff, thanks everybody. As we will be in ultra relaxed mode we intend to take as many quiet alternative roads as possible, it doesn't matter how long it takes us. I can see that there are bits of the A595 that we can't avoid though. I doubt it will be the worst road that we will ride this summer. I'm interested in how successful the upgrading of the cycle path on the coast past Seascale has been. When I used it a few years ago the bit with soft sand were sufficient to put me off pushing our loaded tourers along it. I would love to hear this wouldn't be a problem now.

barracuda

I'm doing a solo ride taking in most of the W2W (East to West to Ulverston) then heading up to join the Hadrians route to Carlisle then picking up the Rievers back home to Newcastle.
I'm looking at a couple of routes over to join the Hadrians, one of which takes in the A595 for a couple of short sections. Basically I was wondering if anybody has any experience/advice of cycling on this road? My other option will avoid this road but looks very hilly. I'm heading up to Silloth that night.
I'll be joining around Grizebeck to Duddon bridge (with a break) then heading over via Thwaites fell to Waberthwaite where I'll be joining the A595 again to Ravensglass.
Any replies will be much appreciated.

Hello marrow, the section for Dutton bridge to Waberthwaite on a scale of 1 to 10 in parts could be an 11 depending on how much you h a 've with you. There is however a much better path you could follow from Dutton bridge via Ladyhall and on into Millom on a minor road which is almost level. Then from Millom via Averigg then Bootell and onto Waberthwaite.
Hope this helps

OP
OP
dr snuggles
Hello marrow, the section for Dutton bridge to Waberthwaite on a scale of 1 to 10 in parts could be an 11 depending on how much you h a 've with you. There is however a much better path you could follow from Dutton bridge via Ladyhall and on into Millom on a minor road which is almost level. Then from Millom via Averigg then Bootell and onto Waberthwaite.
Hope this helps
I'll have a look at this as soon as I get back in thanks.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
when i find an a road i have to ride on but don't know it my self i google it and click on images
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...HxhQf2z4D4Cg&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw&biw=1920&bih=955
then you get to see all the horrific crashes and how big it is etc and what you think the level of traffic will be like
Cheers Ed

Not particularly helpful. It neither indicates quantity or frequency of incidents.

The A59 is frequently listed in the top ten most dangerous roads in the UK and yet your technique does little to indicate the danger.

Revellinho

Regular
I generally only use the A595 coast road when it is not a working day. If i was going to silloth from ulverston, i would grit my teeth and use the A590 to newby bridge then east side of windermere, kirkstone (no really steep bits and often a bit of a tail wind), matterdale end, hesket newmarket, caldbeck, silloth. You can wriggle round from ulverston to newby bridge on B roads but it is a lot of niggly climbing/detouring and for much of the way the 590 has a one metre strip to ride on. After that first nasty 8 miles you should have a lovely day unless it is pishing down.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
I generally only use the A595 coast road when it is not a working day. If i was going to silloth from ulverston, i would grit my teeth and use the A590 to newby bridge then east side of windermere, kirkstone (no really steep bits and often a bit of a tail wind), matterdale end, hesket newmarket, caldbeck, silloth. You can wriggle round from ulverston to newby bridge on B roads but it is a lot of niggly climbing/detouring and for much of the way the 590 has a one metre strip to ride on. After that first nasty 8 miles you should have a lovely day unless it is pishing down.
I'll have a look at this one also thanks. Don't mind changing routes now. Any idea of the mileage? I'll check when I get home anyway tho.

I would get to Greenodd then turn left and go up the east side if Coniston lake then on to Ambleside and via Grasmere and Dunmail Raise to Keswick, shorter and easier.

Top Bottom