Cycling on the A595

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm doing a solo ride taking in most of the W2W (East to West to Ulverston) then heading up to join the Hadrians route to Carlisle then picking up the Rievers back home to Newcastle.
I'm looking at a couple of routes over to join the Hadrians, one of which takes in the A595 for a couple of short sections. Basically I was wondering if anybody has any experience/advice of cycling on this road? My other option will avoid this road but looks very hilly. I'm heading up to Silloth that night.
I'll be joining around Grizebeck to Duddon bridge (with a break) then heading over via Thwaites fell to Waberthwaite where I'll be joining the A595 again to Ravensglass.
Any replies will be much appreciated.

young Ed

Veteran
when i find an a road i have to ride on but don't know it my self i google it and click on images
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...HxhQf2z4D4Cg&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw&biw=1920&bih=955
then you get to see all the horrific crashes and how big it is etc and what you think the level of traffic will be like
Cheers Ed

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've cycled some of the southern bits of it a few times, mainly the Dalton to Broughton stretches. Traffic wise it's ok, there are a few narrow bits, but most cars are patient. I'm not sure what other options you've looked at, but the A595 aint flat!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The A595 is definitely not flatand underspecced for the importance of it to West Cumbria. Should be rideable and not Southern England levels of traffic, but other routes might be more fun. (Oh, and the sign in Whitehaven says "1245 casualties in the last 5 years", though I'm not sure what they mean by casualty or which five years they were as it's not changed since I moved here in 2009).

Yes, by all means you can ride it, and I do ride bits of it myself (tonight I rode between Gosforth and Egremont). I'd also be tempted to catch the train from Barrow up to Ravenglass though as it's quite a pretty line.

toekneep

I rode it travelling south a few years ago and it wasn't too bad. Going north earlier the same day we took a cycle path/footpath along the shore which was 'interesting'. Lots of sandy bits but we got through it on road bikes. We weren't loaded though and I wouldn't fancy that soft sand with a fully loaded tourer. Coincidently we will have the same decision to make in a few weeks time as we are setting off from the Fylde coast to cycle around the coast of Britain so that stretch will be part of our third day. I expect we will stick to the main road.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
when i find an a road i have to ride on but don't know it my self i google it and click on images
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...HxhQf2z4D4Cg&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw&biw=1920&bih=955
then you get to see all the horrific crashes and how big it is etc and what you think the level of traffic will be like
Cheers Ed

I prefer to look at google maps and then use the street view thingy, You can check any section of the road you wish that way. I recently did a ride over a completely new route recently and after an evening with Google I felt as if I knew it intimatly

toekneep

taximan, I too have employed that technique. Just a word of warning though, when planning a ride in a particularly scenic area there is a school of thought that you can spoil the wonder of seeing the views for the first time. Just a thought.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
taximan, I too have employed that technique. Just a word of warning though, when planning a ride in a particularly scenic area there is a school of thought that you can spoil the wonder of seeing the views for the first time. Just a thought.

I can't say that I completely agree with you toekneep, although I do see where you are coming from. I find using this method helps with navigation and for me at least, never spoils the pleasures of pastures new.

toekneep

The thought came out of an episode when I was Street View to work my way around NW Scotland along our planned route for this summer. I kept on saying to my wife, "come and see this". She pointed out that she wanted to see it for real for the first time on the tour. After giving it some thought I decided she was right and stopped doing it. On the other hand, it's been brilliant when pre planning a route out of a city after arriving by train for example.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
Thanks for the replies.
I always use Google maps and street view to get a feel for the area but this road in particular has me a little bit worried hence asking for anybody with first hand knowledge.
https://goo.gl/maps/ks8iD
Hopefully this works and for anybody that's interested I think this will be the route I'll take. Anybody else done this particular route?

DefBref

Über Member
Its fine, I cycle that way to and from Sellafield to Whitehaven regularly (in fact your going to pass 100 yards from my front door) and have cycled your route north from Whitehaven to Silloth a few times as well.

Your route is basically following the NCN72 Hadrians from Holmrook anyway, from Seascale to Sellafield you are going along the beach that toekneep mention earlier, its not that bad (http://www.cycle-routes.org/hadrianscycleway/slides/slide06a.html), the alternative longer route on the road is probably the bit I would avoid as there is a nasty climb and narrow blind bends out of Gosforth towards Calderbridge with traffic treating it as a rally course, easier to head along the shore.

Not sure when you are doing it but I'll just point out the section of cyclepath that goes past Sellafield is currently closed while they update the security fence, you should be ok on the road (it gets busy at shift changeover). just don't miss your right hand turning. Look for a sign that says WAMAC gate.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've ridden the Ulverston to Eskdale stretch (I usually turn right at Eskdale and go over Hardknott). It's a good route.
Just a warning, that the road from Ulpha (where you turn left after the post office) takes you over a very steep climb. It is a real leg/lung buster! Are you ridding fully loaded? Road or mtb gearing?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Looks fine to me. If anything I'd be tempted to stay on the A595 through Foxfield instead of riding through Broughton in Furness as it's much flatter.

The Seascale-Sellafield path is doable on 23mm slicks but don't expect to go fast on it. Watch out for a sandy hollow towards the Sellafield end which I fell off on a couple weeks back.

Also if you miss the WAMAC gate junction, you can get back on the route by riding up to the small roundabout, and then turning left over the little cattle grid off the roundabout and into Beckermet.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I drive that road everyday to work as mentioned above and basically its like a racetrack from 5am to 7pm.
I've driven it a few times too and I know what you mean, there's always some numpty tailgating at 60mph waiting to overtake at the first (and rare) opportunity.
But I've never felt unsafe riding the bits I have ridden. It certainly feels safer than riding on the dual-carriageway parts of the A590 and A591 and I see plenty of nutters people riding on those roads.^_^

Top Bottom