Cycling On The Pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
Can you be fined if the Police caught you cycling on the pavement ? also what is the best thing to do if you spot a police man on the same pavement that you are cycling on is it best to get of your bike and push it , slow down to walking pace , or continue as if the police man is not there

green1

Über Member
Can you be fined if the Police caught you cycling on the pavement ? also what is the best thing to do if you spot a police man on the same pavement that you are cycling on is it best to get of your bike and push it , slow down to walking pace , or continue as if the police man is not there
Don't cycle on the pavement.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yes. But as beano says... the police use their judgement, so if you're riding like a nobber, possibly... if you're riding with caution, possibly not.

Sometimes I use the pavement if I deem it a safer place to be than the road... but if I came across a copper when doing so... I wouldn't get off and walk, I'd just carry on as normal.

simon.r

Person
Yes. But as beano says... the police use their judgement, so if you're riding like a nobber, possibly... if you're riding with caution, possibly not.

Sometimes I use the pavement if I deem it a safer place to be than the road... but if I came across a copper when doing so... I wouldn't get off and walk, I'd just carry on as normal.

Same here. Very rarely, but sometimes I will cycle on a pavement, IF I consider it significantly safer than the road and taking due account of the number of pedestrians etc. I'll only use the pavement for short sections, typically next to fast A roads where pedestrians are few and far between.

No real excuse for pavement cycling in towns or heavily pedestrianised areas IMO.

sidevalve

Über Member
Riding on the FOOTpath is illegal, end of story. Doing so you are no better than the speeding or phone using motorist [please don't try the "oh it's not so bad because I was only riding a bicycle" routine] - if it's ok for you to break the law it's ok for them too.
As for getting off and walking [which is legal] why is that so bad ? If the road is SO dangerous that you must [or think you have an excuse to] use the pavement then the few minutes you will lose by walking will be more than made up for in overall journey time.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
I think that's the key,treat peds with care and consideration and you can't go too far wrong.I rode on the path earlier at Wanstead flats and the peds didn't bat an eyelid.Actually as I was behind for a short while they didn't know I was there and I bided my time till I made my way.

Venod

Eh up
Riding on the FOOTpath is illegal, end of story. Doing so you are no better than the speeding or phone using motorist [please don't try the "oh it's not so bad because I was only riding a bicycle" routine] - if it's ok for you to break the law it's ok for them too.
As for getting off and walking [which is legal] why is that so bad ? If the road is SO dangerous that you must [or think you have an excuse to] use the pavement then the few minutes you will lose by walking will be more than made up for in overall journey time.

You have to be sensible about using the pavement, I regularly use a stretch that is beside a very rough busy stretch of road, its in the country and I have never come across a pedestrian on it, I think the Police would probably recognize my sensibility at doing this.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I use one small stretch of pavement which is at the bottom of the cemetery hill.
It's about 15m long and leads to the underpass which connects to the cycle path.
I could cycle on the road for those 15m but it's on the approach to a busy junction which leads onto a bypass in one direction, and the motorway in the other.
I know I should get off my bike and walk or use the road but I have NEVER met anyone on that path.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I use one small stretch of pavement which is at the bottom of the cemetery hill.
It's about 15m long and leads to the underpass which connects to the cycle path.
I could cycle on the road for those 15m but it's on the approach to a busy junction which leads onto a bypass in one direction, and the motorway in the other.
I know I should get off my bike and walk or use the road but I have NEVER met anyone on that path.
Oh no, ALERT - ALERT - cyclist 'using common sense'....?

Pavement cycling is black and white, there can't be any possible justification for using a path....

Or can there?

Top Bottom