Cycling On The Pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I use a stretch every day at a horrible junction (Fox's corner - Shipley) where I was once nearly wiped out, I use it for maybe 200m, it's wide with clear unobstructed views, no doorways or drives lead onto it, I might see a pedestrian on it every 3 days.

On the right.
260192_6d5c5541.jpg
Look at all those wonderful buildings spoilt by cheap shop fronts and cheap plastic windows . Now that a real crime !

oldstrath

Über Member
I don't, really don't see the need hereabouts. But I was once assailed by a woman who shouted at me for 5 minutes about the evil of cyclists using the pavement in the village, and how they might kill someone. Thing was, she had just admitted driving at 80 mph on a SINGLE TRACK ROAD (sorry to shout). Not amused when I pointed out she was a hypocritical old bat (or similar) and vastly more likely to kill someone.

classic33

Leg End Member
I use a stretch every day at a horrible junction (Fox's corner - Shipley) where I was once nearly wiped out, I use it for maybe 200m, it's wide with clear unobstructed views, no doorways or drives lead onto it, I might see a pedestrian on it every 3 days.

On the right.
260192_6d5c5541.jpg
Why the amber light on two of the sets of lights at the top? Shipley's odd, but I didn't think it was that odd! Same junction I tapped the back of a white van that cut in at the last second & stopped. Not pleased at all.

MarkF

Guru
Why the amber light on two of the sets of lights at the top? Shipley's odd, but I didn't think it was that odd! Same junction I tapped the back of a white van that cut in at the last second & stopped. Not pleased at all.

It's the pic, they are all red.

I used to go through the lights, in primary in the left hand lane, this is the lane for straight on and turning left, uphill. Often, cars in the middle lane (straight ahead only) would set off
then lurch left across my front wheel, scaring me and going up the hill, They'd do this if they approached the lights and found me first in the queue and with the middle lane (ahead only) empty. :rolleyes: One scare too many and I lost my rag and set off after the car, caught the driver at the lights (which are only 50m uphill), wrenched his door open and took his keys. The incident really shook me up, he nearly killed me, I don't use the junction now, I use the pavement which gives me access to the canal (under) and re-join the road further on.

Of course, having taken a deliberate decision to drive illegally and recklessly to put my life in danger to save 2 seconds, the drivers, due to the junction layout, immediately hit more red light maybe 4 seconds away. :cursing:
260192_6d5c5541.jpg

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
also what is the best thing to do if you spot a police man on the same pavement that you are cycling on, is it best to .........

Speed right up, pull a wheelie and smile :cycle: :whistle:

On a serious note I don't see a problem using a pavement in the right circumstances. Give respect and right of way for pedestrians plus keeping your speeds low.

lip03

Über Member
I use the pavement for about 8 meters..... from road to the start of cycle way (the little green one just before cs3) I only ever use it if the lights are red I think if you plan to do an entire journey on pavement then that is obviously a ridiculous idea but common sense and a bit of judgment should see you through :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK I used a different bit of pavement today ... normally I use the grass to cut off 3 sides of a large square and several sets of traffic lights but the grass was too soggy, it is a well used cycle short cut (I've actually tried to persuade the council to make it a cycle path avoiding an awkward junction), but I met a cyclist and dog walker coming the other way. The other cyclist was annoyed at the dog walker not watching the dog as it ran across in front of him, whereas I think it's the pavement (well path across some grass), and that actually the pedestrian and his dog really had the right of way so it didn't bother me to slow right down to walking pace to pass them.

400bhp

Guru
It amuses me how we get really pedantic about stuff on here (this and the other thread about stopping) that is, in reality, immaterial.

I can't imagine similar discussions in car forums about travelling at 31mph in a 30 or pavement parking.

I don't know what this shows, perhaps that the average bod here gives more of a stuff about how we (not cyclists per se) are perceived by others, or perhaps it means we're just pedantic buggers.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's the pic, they are all red.

I used to go through the lights, in primary in the left hand lane, this is the lane for straight on and turning left, uphill. Often, cars in the middle lane (straight ahead only) would set off
then lurch left across my front wheel, scaring me and going up the hill, They'd do this if they approached the lights and found me first in the queue and with the middle lane (ahead only) empty. :rolleyes: One scare too many and I lost my rag and set off after the car, caught the driver at the lights (which are only 50m uphill), wrenched his door open and took his keys. The incident really shook me up, he nearly killed me, I don't use the junction now, I use the pavement which gives me access to the canal (under) and re-join the road further on.

Of course, having taken a deliberate decision to drive illegally and recklessly to put my life in danger to save 2 seconds, the drivers, due to the junction layout, immediately hit more red light maybe 4 seconds away. :cursing:
260192_6d5c5541.jpg
Going uphill at that junction is where a tap was applied to the rear end of the white van, causing its rear bumper & step to fail on all but one screw/bolt.

andrewpreston

It amuses me how we get really pedantic about stuff on here (this and the other thread about stopping) that is, in reality, immaterial.

I can't imagine similar discussions in car forums about travelling at 31mph in a 30 or pavement parking.

I don't know what this shows, perhaps that the average bod here gives more of a stuff about how we (not cyclists per se) are perceived by others, or perhaps it means we're just pedantic buggers.
As a pedant, I have to point out that cycling on the pavement is not a crime, its an offence. Crimes are usually offences which can be awarded a custodial sentence.

Top Bottom