Cycling Photo Challenge - the current challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yo vanilla

I thought I had a winner chosen last night, and I have re-evaluated. I am in the office and its hard to piece together a full list on my phone, so for now the winner is:

TeeShot! This has all of the elements I pictured - the bike, the snacks, the store front and even a rucksack. Realizing of course all entries had basically all these elements, I really liked how they came together here!

TeeShot

Veteran
Well I’ve had a think. The dark winter months are nearly behind us and the jab is giving people hope of a better tomorrow. So as we hopefully turn a corner, the challenge is “signs of spring”.
If you think that’s rubbish let me know and I’ll have another think. Good luck, give us all something to smile about. Normal rules apply and I’ll be back to announce the winner on April Fools Day!!!!

TeeShot

Veteran
Wow so many entries !!
Brilliant to see so many of you taking the time to take a picture and bring it to this challenge
There are probably 10 photos that deserve to win, but as the saying goes "there can only be one winner"
So well done @IrishAl
The light, the bare trees, the composition and the sole daff. just hit the spot
Over to you sir

38dfff89-0ee1-460e-9f03-931f10054de3-jpeg.jpg

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Wow so many entries !!
Brilliant to see so many of you taking the time to take a picture and bring it to this challenge
There are probably 10 photos that deserve to win, but as the saying goes "there can only be one winner"
So well done @IrishAl
The light, the bare trees, the composition and the sole daff. just hit the spot
Over to you sir

View attachment 581904
Thank you @TeeShot. The place in my photo is one of my fav spots for getting a good photo in different seasons. Spring is now my favourite 😍

For April’s challenge... ⚡️Electric⚡️
Usual rules apply. No trespassing and no photos of bikes hanging on power lines.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
What a tough call to pick a winner this month. I had 9 photos in my “shortlist” so I had the pleasure over a coffee to pick the best.

my shortlist....
F6E9EE02-23D3-4068-9C27-25A196417C27.png

And so onto the winner....

In third place, @yo vanilla, for bringing to us a photo of the the first house ever powered by hydroelectric power 😇

In second place, @biggs682 for the best of the pylons, showing size does matter 😂

But April’s winner is.... @chriswoody, for this atmospheric B&W photo of a big hydro generating station in Germany.

Congratulations and Over to you @chriswoody to pick Mays challenge!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone and thanks @IrishAl , there were lots of really good photos.

I've been scratching my head a lot over the next challenge and I'm thinking Wood.

So any inventive ways people can think of combining bikes and wood in any form.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Blimey this was a bit tough! there were some brilliant photos. Some were technically brilliant with great composition and colours, others were just great fun. I've narrowed it down to eight I really liked for various reasons, then mulled over it for a while, then prevaricated, then mulled it over some more :laugh:

I loved the humour in the images from @roubaixtuesday and the squirrel with attitude in @biggs682 photo. The wooden bike was great as were the lovely shots from @PeteXXX .

Eventually though there can be only one winner and I decided on @stoatsngroats lovely shot of a bike in the woods, just a nice classic woodland shot with great colour and composition.

Honourable mention should go to @gzoom for his stunning image, however, technically the challenge should also feature a bike? (Blimey there's going to be a stewards inquiry over this one!)

So @stoatsngroats the baton passes to you.

So, for June, I propose, Your bike and a repeating pattern.
For example, a zebra crossing..... but just to introduce an idea, it could also be part of your bike and a repeating pattern....
28 days to go then.....:bicycle:

@roubaixtuesday, the wave baffles, and the Tandem….. another good image, with a great repeating pattern, setting a deep view into the far background…..

my synapses were singing……. That’s almost exactly the kind of pattern which I was thinking about….
With most of the image filled with repeating pattern…. But not just that, a good image in its own right too…..

I have taken the Liberty of editing this image to capture how my brain ’sees’ this image for maximum ’zing’….
B811ABB8-FBCE-497F-9FA5-256AC94C47BC.jpeg

It works for me, it captures all that my challenge was set for, buit destroys the original image as taken.

So, an education for me. To take longer to look past my pattern brain/eye, and try to see the wider picture.
It’s tough, and it may demonstrate to me that I may have a little autistic spectrum disorder, never diagnosed, and not intrinsically difficult to me…. But interesting nevertheless.

@roubaixtiesday is my winner in this challenge, for the reasons above…..

I hope you agree, and thanks to you all for engaging in my test of your optical and image capture abilities! 😀👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
@stoatsngroats yours was excellent, I will absolutely not accept a challenge to improve it.

Rather, after brief reflection. I shall make a deliberate attempt to induce completely different style entries so as to avoid such comparison. I have the perfect image in mind, of course, and look forward to the cyclechat denizens subverting and improving on it.

So, the theme for this challenge is "lonely". To be interpreted in any way you wish!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well, thank you for all the entries.

I think that was probably much more difficult to find something for than most, apologies if so. I've been suffering from a bad back and haven't been out much in the last few weeks so didn't manage a single entry myself...

But some great pics, split generally into "Lonely bike" or "Lonely person/object seen from a bike". Very difficult on the latter to get the sense of being alone rather than accompanied by a bike, I think.

On the lonely bike front, I particularly enjoyed the black and white from @yo vanilla

1627288055109.png

Lots of inventive entries on lonely objects, strawberries, mushrooms, hats, but the abandoned machinery (winch?) from @Oldhippy was rather eyecatching (I had to crop it to get it to display for some odd reason, apologies):

1627288376003.png

But my two favourites were, on the lonely bike front, what I imagine to be an insomniac Specialized contemplating the dawn from @newts :

1627288513485.png

and the tree, all alone despite being in a crowd from @PeteXXX

1627288763737.png

So, the winner is [drum roll] @PeteXXX for their lonely tree.

Over to you and thanks to everyone for the entries.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have thunked..
The theme for the new competition is..

'Give me a sign'

As usual, a bike, or part of, must be in the photograph, and must be taken within the time frame of the competition.

The end date will be August 31st 2021

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Quite a few decent entries this time, and some great interpretations, too.

Mentioned in despatches are:
@Tribansman for the Stevenage signs of adventure.
@biggs682 for the Bianchi badge.
@yo vanilla for the much needed Signs of hope.

The competition winner, this time, though is @IrishAl for the 'Rest and be hopeful' photograph.
(Bike needs a bit of a clean, though!! 😂)

🥇

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Okay after a quick think I’ve come up with September’s theme - “Bridge”
interpretation of the theme is of course allowed. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom