'Cycling' pocket book 1899

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

Whilst looking round our local booty this morning I found an 1899 edition of 'Cycling', (which is I take it the predecessor of CW) cyclists' pocket Road book, it is a small red booklet approx 5"x5", bound in red linen over board, with black ink titles,priced at 6d, inside the front board is a label stuck inside with a latin phrase 'ex libris' over a coat of arms two rampant lions one above a shield, one on a shield with a ground of dots and lines with the motto 'touch not the cat but a glove'. The name of Beatrice Maxwell Ainsworth appears under the crest.

On the first page there is an embossed stamp WH Smith London, the book contains advce for cyclists' about repairs, first aid, clothing choices, then there is a section on routes, all starting from Westminster Bridge, and going to hundreds of destinations, other pages have routes split into regions listing each town, the distance from the start point, and a cumulative distance. In the back of the book is a pocket, in this pocket is a map, which when folded out shows the UK with routes marked out from London, on the back of this sheet appears lots of adverts for bikes, clothing, accessories etc. There is a table of gears relative gear inches, to teeth on cogs, another table of lighting up times on every saturday throughout 1899.

considering its age, 109 years it is in pretty good condition, I have tried to find out about it , but Google is of no help, I'll write to CW to see what they can tell me, anyone here got a similar book? It says in the preface that it is the fourth edition of the book

Truly fascinating insight into a bygone era, but essentially nothing seems to have changed, equipment has obviously improved, but the ethos remains the same.

Nick G

Sounds like a gem. Enjoy it. I doubt it has anything to do with what is now CW but they may know about it. There's a cycling historian who works for C+ I think. Might be worth a try, or how about the The National Cycle Collection in Wales? http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/

"Ex Libris" just mean "From the library of" in this case, Beatrice.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Thanks Nick G, it certainly is a gem, and reading it brings a smile to my face, as it is written in such a quaint Victorian style, very much of its time. Iam curious to know more and will do some research, in the meantime,if anyone does have any ideas, let me know.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Yes, all of those, only mine is the 4th edition from 1899, I paid £3 for it from the chap at the boot sale, so not only was it a good price, but also if I sell it in the future a little money spinner, however, at the moment I'm just enjoying owning it and reading it, as others have said, it really is a little gem.:rofl:

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Hmmm <rubs chin> not just yet, why, are you interested?

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Been doing some googling, seems that the motto 'touch not the cat but a glove' that appears on the label glued inside the front board bearing Beatrice Maxwell Ainsworths name. Is attributed as the Clan McPherson motto...The mystery deepens...

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Ex Libris means exactly as Nick says, from the library of <name>. Just means the book came from that person's shelves, again as Nick says, Beatrice Ainsworth.

Sounds wonderful, I love old books. Doubt it'll be that much of a money spinner though!

Cycling was a leading magazine of the time and not connected to Cycling Weekly which began publication in, I believe, 1892. But don't quote me until I've checked!

These books were quite common with lots of different publishers and there are still quite a few around.

It's not worth much more than you paid for it so just enjoy it - I have several from different years and enjoy flicking through them from time to time over a cuppa.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Cheers for that RHD, It caught my eye, and I was happy to pay three quid for it, it is a lovely little book, full of contemporary Victorian cycling advice, and adverts. I don't know what a monthly/weekly wage was in 1899, but one of the adverts is for a 'Gamage' light road machine at £13 13 shillings or on HP at £1 2shillings and 9 pence a month. shoes at 10/6 or 50 pence in todays money!

A real glimpse into a time well past, the clothing, equipment and bikes have changed a huge amount, but the general cycling ethos seems (from the advice and tips) to have not changed at all!

Top Bottom