'Cycling' pocket book 1899

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
Hilldodger said:
An avarage was around £100 per year
Which makes that Gamage bicycle something like £3700 to the average earner of today ;)

In 1899, I think it would be fair to say that cycling was still a decidedly middle-class activity - the sort of thing that might well be done by people who put "Ex libris" stamps in their books :biggrin:

NickM

Veteran
Dayvo said:
I'm interested in reading about cycling in the halcyon days of yesteryear.
A very worthwhile thing to do. An excellent start would be "King of the Road", by Andrew Ritchie. Out of print, and not all that easily found, but there are a fair few copies on abebooks.

NickM said:
Which makes that Gamage bicycle something like £3700 to the average earner of today ;)

In 1899, I think it would be fair to say that cycling was still a decidedly middle-class activity - the sort of thing that might well be done by people who put "Ex libris" stamps in their books :biggrin:

It wasn't until the 20's that bicycles started to become affordable for the lower classes - mainly through secondhand ones at that.

NickM

Veteran
So, Hilldodger - when would you place the Golden Age of cycling in Britain?

I'd suggest the years immediately following WW2, by which time most people who wanted one had a bike, and petrol rationing kept the roads free of 4-wheeled pests. Didn't last long, though... :biggrin:

And have you ever seen a copy of "A Canterbury Pilgrimage" by Joseph and Elizabeth Robbins Pennell? It's the nicest cycling book in my little collection, published in 1885 and charmingly illustrated. I'm glad I bought it when I did, because it's quite expensive now ;)

I'd say the 1930's because the bikes were better due to the availablity of materials and there was a lot more freedom for people.

The golden age for racing has to be the 1890's

And have you ever seen a copy of A Canterbury Pilgrimage by Joseph and Elizabeth Robbins Pennell? It's the nicest cycling book in my little collection, published in 1885 and charmingly illustrated. I'm glad I bought it when I did, because it's quite expensive now

I have a copy in my collection and agree, it is a charming book.

Top Bottom