Cycling programme on BBC Alba

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Stumbled across a great wee cycling programme on BBC Alba tonight.

"Cycling sisters Kerry and Kirsty MacPhee from South Uist take to social media to find out the nation's favourite cycle routes. In this episode, they are in Applecross in Wester Ross and accompanied by wild swimmer Calum MacLean, who has chosen a route there because of his family ties to the area and his fond memories of holidaying there.

Calum is avoiding the world renowned Bealach na Bà though in favour of a lesser-known off-road route. Starting at Kenmore on Loch Torridon, they mountain bike through Applecross Glen to reach the west coast of the peninsula before finishing the cycle route off with a cooling dip in Applecross River - Calum's recommendation of course!"

4 episodes on iplayer at the moment, there are 8 in the series

Gaelic, with English subtitles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b09jqy12

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Stumbled across a great wee cycling programme on BBC Alba tonight.

"Cycling sisters Kerry and Kirsty MacPhee from South Uist take to social media to find out the nation's favourite cycle routes. In this episode, they are in Applecross in Wester Ross and accompanied by wild swimmer Calum MacLean, who has chosen a route there because of his family ties to the area and his fond memories of holidaying there.

Calum is avoiding the world renowned Bealach na Bà though in favour of a lesser-known off-road route. Starting at Kenmore on Loch Torridon, they mountain bike through Applecross Glen to reach the west coast of the peninsula before finishing the cycle route off with a cooling dip in Applecross River - Calum's recommendation of course!"

4 episodes on iplayer at the moment, there are 8 in the series

Gaelic, with English subtitles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b09jqy12

Thanks, sounds worth a look.
They did a series last year where they cycled the Outer Hebrides, didn't they?

Excellent find - my brother lived in the Coigeach for years, tremendous cycling and I`ve been up Bealach Na Ba on the bike a few times, always through gritted teeth!

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I’ve watched the first 20 minutes so far of the first episode (then I had to stop to cook dinner), and I’m enjoying it.

Some great scenery and the trails look good. Some basic maintenance tips too which is great for new cyclists.

The sisters and guest riders look like they are enjoying themselves. I don’t speak Gaelic, but from their tone they seem friendly and good presenters. I’m not sure if it’s just the subtitles, but some of the dialogue does ‘read’ a little forced. It could be that these type of shows ask the same questions, but I don’t notice as much without the subtitles.

I’m enjoying it. I will watch the other episodes.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
Watched the first 4 episodes on iPlayer. Great scenery and interesting routes, although watching 4 in a row can get a bit “samey”. But that’s what the fast forward button is for :-)

pjd57

Veteran
More cycling on BBC Alba
Short segments though, but Caledonian, Union, Forth&Clyde, Crinan canals being covered over the four episodes.
I wonder if they'll show the 'entertainment' of the 'Canalside Bar' at Lambhill on the F&C:laugh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tbh1y

The Lambhill garden party crowd are ok.
They always acknowledge you passing and are interested to know where you are heading etc.
Sad that they have their problems .

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Kerry is Kirsty

tonight (Mon) on BBC Alba 8.30-9.00

Starting in south Skye, sisters Kerry and Kirsty MacPhee catch the Kylerhea ferry over to Glenelg before taking on a steep cycle climb up Mam Ratagan and finishing in Shiel Bridge

Alan O

Über Member
I've watched all five episodes now, and I've really enjoyed it - the sisters are very likeable, and they come across well.

Part of what I like is that it's not pushing any technical cycling stuff, it's just about having a nice ride with nice people. And I suspect part of that in turn is that BBC Alba is partly an education resource for learners of the Gaelic language, and the style of dialogue seems to fit in well with that.

I particularly liked the Skye one, as it was a favourite destination of mine many years ago. It was before the bridge was built and there weren't any tourist coaches - the Quiraing was deserted when I visited it.

And, I don't know why, but it seems nice to know that Gaelic for "knobbly" is "knobbly" :smile:

Top Bottom