Cycling Related Questions for your MP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
If you had the opportunity to meet with your MP (and lets not leave out the other candidates) what cycling issues would you bend their ears about ?

I'd rather talk about crime and school places given my MP's ears as that's more pressing to me than more painted roads.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd ask why they're dragging their feet about issuing mandatory design manuals for cycling infrastructure. Decades after central government realised they needed to issue standards for motoring else some councils would keep building dangerous rubbish, they still refuse to accept the same applies to other road users... so people keep being sacrificed to give most space to the motorised.

mjr

Other than Local Transport Notes and the various bits of legislation you mean?
Notes which no council obeys in full, as far as I've seen. There's always an excuse, some reason they "can't go all the way for cycling this time" or whatever that notorious phrase was when they were nicking £400,000+ of cycling money to make the Catholic Church junction in Cambridge safer for coaches.

What legislation? The LTNs are guidance not law, so they are ignored with impunity, just like the old motoring guidance.

mjr

Sorry. What I mean is it doesn't matter much what statute says if councils and DfT and so on all treat it as guidance.

Top Bottom