Cycling round Britain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
mickwood said:
How long do you think it will take you charlie? I love the sense of adventure this shows!! Could be convinced to try and do something similar myself one day!!

If you're interested in a tour, the cycling organisation I'm in is doing another one to Norfolk in 2009 and there was some arguing about whether to do the Pyrenees. I think the CTC area (of which you're in too might be doing some too).

OP
OP

123Charlie

It's taken rather a long time, but here, as promised, is the kit list for my tour round Britain.

Assuming the bike, panniers etc, the list is:

Clothing:

Sunglasses
Helmet
Beanie
Cap
Balaclava

Lycra cycle jumper
'Sprayway' waterproof fleece
Waterproof jacket
Cycling gloves
T-shirts
Another thermal layer?

Tracksuit bottoms
Waterproof trousers
Padded cycle shorts x 2
Pants

Goretex socks
Shimano MT41 SPD shoes

Plus one casual change of clothes and shoes.

Tools and spares etc:

Leatherman
Nuts, bolts, screws
Ratchet
Spanners

Oil
Spare spokes
Inner tube
Joe's no flats sealant http://www.no-flats.com/products.php?categid=1

Bungees

Camping:

Tent
Sleeping bag
Inflatable mattress

Cooking:

Cutlery
Mess tin
Water bottles
Stove
Thermos

Toiletries:

Vaseline
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Bar of soap

Other:

First aid kit
Camera
Map
GPS
Diary
Headlamp
Bike lock
Lighter

In some cases I've mentioned the specific item I'm going for. If anyone does have any suggestions or comments about any of the items (or any of those I've missed!), I'd be enormously grateful.

So far, the planning of my tour has been a brilliant experience - even if the tour is half as fun, I'll be a happy chappy!

Thanks and best wishes,

Charlie

gavintc

Guru
All the best, I wish you well on your adventure. Currently, my adventures are limited to a weekly club run and the odd foray into the local countryside - jealous as hell. I will dip into your blog occasionally - good luck.

mickwood

marinyork said:
If you're interested in a tour, the cycling organisation I'm in is doing another one to Norfolk in 2009 and there was some arguing about whether to do the Pyrenees. I think the CTC area (of which you're in too might be doing some too).

Bear me i mind for those trips dude! Although 2009 is a MAD busy time for me so it may not work (I'm off to Switzerland, Peru, Ecuador and MAY be moving to New Zealand for a year!?!) - but it all depends on where and when and if your organisation would be happy for a newby stranger to tag along...and a scouser to boot! ;)

I'd add the following:

Extra gloves - either windstopper fleece or Goretex mitts. You're going to have to cycle through a lot of freezing rain in the next few months!

Ice-breaker Merino 200 long sleeve thermal top. Resist odour, are warm when wet. Don't waste money on anything else.

Tracksuit bottoms - No!
I'd be thinking Endura Multitights or equivalent.

Spare tyre. Tyre boot. Puncture repair kit. Spare gear/brake cable.
Don't forget a bike pump!

Top Bottom