Cycling round Britain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Well done, just read a bit of your blog and I know you're a beginner but the 'cog' that is attached to the crank on a bike is called the 'chainrings' :angry:

Wobbly John

Veteran
Have you seen Will & Ed's website? They rode the coast of Britain in 2006...

...on TALLBIKES! :laugh:

TBTBEMBLEM01.JPG

I met up with them a couple of times on route.

It is an excellent way of seeing the country. I have riden Portsmouth to Edinburgh, on the East Coast, across to Glasgow and back to Portsmouth along the west coast.

Enjoy it, take your time and most importantly do allow time to explore, take in the local culture and history.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Tony said:
Tell us more! We want a kit list!

Yep. I want to see what he's taking to cope with the cold.

I remember being caught out by the cold when I did a mini cycle tour of the Dales and enjoyed a night at the King's Head in Richmond when the nearby camp site by the Swale that used in my youth turned out to be caravan only got a great rate and they kept my bike in the back of reception but I digress......

The temperatures are likely to be quite cold during the day and very cold at night if camping is part of the tour wild camping might be the order of the day as many sites don't open until close to easter. There will be also lots of salt on the roads so cleanliness and maintenance of the drive drain will be important. I'd be wanting lots of calories too xx(

Good luck!
I did something very similar back in 1995 and had a brilliant time.

My account, with kitlist, is here:
http://www.crispinbennett.freedomnames.co.uk/Round Britain.htm

I'd have a serious think about using the coast roads though - many of them are unpleasantly busy. I soon (within days) gave up on the idea of following the coast and eventually headed inland for quiet roads or things I wanted to see.

With regard to the cold, I think my record was five days to get a thermal top dry - I used to sleep with damp kit in my sleeping bag to dry it out. I set off in April and still had several days with sleet and snow!

Enjoy!

dodgy

I reckon the OP is a drive by blog promoter, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same post cut and pasted on a number of other cycling related forums.

OP
OP

123Charlie

THANK YOU

Thanks to all for advice and comments. It is always great to get any advice, so thank you!

Please do keep reading the blog and offering any advice and suggestions that come to mind.

In response to the last post, I am trying to promote my blog but not for any personal gain, merely for the interest of anyone who fancies following my trip.

Many thanks and happy Christmas,

Charlie

Will1985

Über Member
Good luck! To echo some of the other comments - it would be nice to see what you are taking with you. Who knows, some of the long distance veterans might spot some vital omissions.

OP
OP

123Charlie

I'm slowly getting there with the kit list and other plans. I will put it up for everyone to have a look (and comment!) at when I have the definitive version.

Best wishes to all for 2009!

Charlie

Top Bottom