Cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grievesy

looking for your help folks.

Ive got a planet X London Road 1x11. I mostly use it for commuting 10 miles each way to work. Ive been using some shoes i bought from Decathlon around 7 year ago and now they are falling apart so im looking to upgrade. Problem is im not seeing much on wiggle or chainreaction cycles for flat pedals. The shoes i have are dual shoes but have a rubber sole so you can walk in them also. Took the inserts out as i dont use them and they are fine.

A few will suggest clipless etc. I dont like them. As i do the odd shopping trip or trip to the pals house on the bike also. Sometimes even in flip-flops in the 3 days scotland calls a summer.

Five ten appear to be the industry's leaders but they have a hefty pricetag for a tight jock. That and they just look like normal trainers. If thats the case, i may as well just use normal trainers but would look silly with lycra. Any suggestions?

https://www.merlincycles.com/giro-jacket-ii-mountain-bike-shoe-111962.html

Giro do a casual range of shoes like the above. If you search around they can be found on sale.

si_c

Guru
Five Tens are definitely worth the money, they look like regular trainers but that's just a skin, they're very very sturdy and well built - there's a reason why they are go to shoes for mountain bikers.

Also take a look at the Shimano Touring shoes (MT Range IIRC) as @Dogtrousers says you don't need to cut out the cleat holes and can use them as regular shoes.

I wouldn't be too worries what shoes look like with Lycra, you tend to look pretty silly when wearing it anyway so most people won't even notice :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
I use an Adidas trail running shoes, perfectly stiff enough for flat pedals.
With Lycra, who gives a stuff (get black shoes if that bovvered)

Amac

Gunk

Guru
I just wear Adidas Hamburgs for hooning around, they really don’t need to be cycle specific if you’re not using cleats.

looking for your help folks.

Ive got a planet X London Road 1x11. I mostly use it for commuting 10 miles each way to work. Ive been using some shoes i bought from Decathlon around 7 year ago and now they are falling apart so im looking to upgrade. Problem is im not seeing much on wiggle or chainreaction cycles for flat pedals. The shoes i have are dual shoes but have a rubber sole so you can walk in them also. Took the inserts out as i dont use them and they are fine.

A few will suggest clipless etc. I dont like them. As i do the odd shopping trip or trip to the pals house on the bike also. Sometimes even in flip-flops in the 3 days scotland calls a summer.

Five ten appear to be the industry's leaders but they have a hefty pricetag for a tight jock. That and they just look like normal trainers. If thats the case, i may as well just use normal trainers but would look silly with lycra. Any suggestions?
Just get any MTB shoe that suits you but don't remove the plate which converts them to clipless.

OP
OP
Grievesy

Grievesy

Thanks for the replys guys. Picking up a set of new shoes tomorrow :smile:

Top Bottom