Cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you want to walk around, it has to be shoes which will take an spd or similar cleat recessed so that you've got grip (eg on the way back from the pub).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think Decathlon still do some MTB shoes with recessed cleats so you can walk in them, preferable for touring, for about thirty quid.
Here you go:

Last edited:
Nice one I'll try it as the pedals that are coming on my bike are old school ones no cleats needed.
Be careful if they have toe clips. I hate the things.

I take a big picture view. I rarely clock up more than 5-6 hours on the bike on tour. I prefer "normal" footwear, usually sandals. Cheap and easily replacable. In winter I'll use shoes. But even in cool weather the sandals and merino socks are fine.

freiston

Veteran
I like SPD shoes for touring (and all my cycling) - ones that I am comfortable wearing for limited walking too.

The question mostly asked, so it seems to me, is what footwear do people take with them for when off the bike (like pub trips or sight-seeing). Some SPD shoes are styled so that they look fitting off as well as on the bike (like the Giro Rumble). My worry about only having the one pair is that if they get really wet, having to wear them wet in the pub. I do believe that some folk use a pair of waterproof socks such as Sealskinz for such occasions (rather than to stop their feet getting wet when on the bike). I do take a pair of crocs with me for campsite/washroom use.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
For any moving-on tour I carry a pair of thin canvas shoes, which pack virtually flat. That said, I do use SPD recessed cleats.
Be careful if they have toe clips. I hate the things.
I have never seen toe-clips which are not easily removable.
Before going clipless I used straps & shoe-plates. Once the straps were tight there was absolutely no chance of a foot coming out.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
For any moving-on tour I carry a pair of thin canvas shoes, which pack virtually flat. That said, I do use SPD recessed cleats.

I have never seen toe-clips which are not easily removable.
Before going clipless I used straps & shoe-plates. Once the straps were tight there was absolutely no chance of a foot coming out.
“Absolutely no chance of foot coming out “ foot locked in great on the evening 10 ,not good on the way home keeling over at some traffic lights. :laugh:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
“Absolutely no chance of foot coming out “ foot locked in great on the evening 10 ,not good on the way home keeling over at some traffic lights. :laugh:
It only required a flick with the thumb to loosen the strap. Mind you, on the fixed-wheel you had to catch it near the top of your pedal stroke.

freiston

Veteran
I did that (just the once) at the head of the queue at some traffic lights in the middle of town. I was "track standing" waiting for the lights to change and I hadn't slackened the strap. As soon as the lights changed to green, I went over :blush:. It was a very long time ago and I was a teenager.

Top Bottom