Cycling socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

As I've only ever worn cycling socks (for cycling that is, and apart from the pootle to the shops kind of ride), I can't really be objective. But then neither can I say that I've ever wanted to try out anything else.

They needn't necessarily be expensive either. I think Prendas do 4 pair for £20.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Blonde said:
I only ever wear proper cycling socks for cycling now. I used to get by without them in the past because I had a tight budget so didn't have much choice in the matter, but I had chillblains and cold legs in winter and sweaty althletes foot in summer. You get what you pay for. If you only make short trips by bike, don't sweat much, and don't ride competitively, you may get by in normal socks, but if you buy cycling socks you will feel the difference and won't ever want to go back to normal socks for cycling in. Same as with any piece of decent quality kit really. You can get by without expensive assos shorts, but the difference in fit, quality and technical performance is noticeable. If you can afford it, you don't have to get by with something that isn't designed for the purpose. You can choose to get something that is specifically designed for cycling and will make the whole experience more pleasureable.

I'm looking at my footwear setup, currently using trainer socks, would be interested in specifics of what has worked for you, especially Winter wise.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Touche said:
Socks! who needs socks?

Unless it is particularly cold I ride with just the shoes on my feet.

... and a guy on the LEPRA Edinburgh -> St Andrew's ride last Saturday had bare feet ! Not even shoes. We CCers did have a discussion about getting cleats attached to the soles of his feet ....

(sorry - smilies not working at the mo')
:biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
thin white socks from Next or M+S (I suspect they're the same). £10 for 7 pairs. Not at all squishy, but really comfortable.

peanut

GrumpyGreg said:
I wear assymetric semi boot style retro mtb shoes

why don't you just wear some shoes like the rest of us ?;):biggrin::biggrin:

I know what you mean though. I have size 11 feet and it makes me larf when I see one-size-fits-all they barely cover my toes:sad:

Maizie

Guru
I wear M&S sports socks, they were £5 for two pairs (though that's for the ladies version). They are shaped and a bit thicker here and there, and they come with an L and an R on them so you put the correct sock on the correct foot.
The real annoyance is that they only come in white, grr.

yenrod

GrumpyGreg said:
not of the porelle dry seal skinz variety, just plain ole cycling socks...

why so expensive?

does anybody use them?

if not what are your preferred (cheaper) alternatives?

please discuss......

Get yourself off to Asda and buy 5 pairs for 3 quid - I did and do wear them

;)

Top Bottom