Cycling socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
not of the porelle dry seal skinz variety, just plain ole cycling socks...

why so expensive?

does anybody use them?

if not what are your preferred (cheaper) alternatives?

please discuss......

numbnuts

Legendary Member
GrumpyGreg said:
not of the porelle dry seal skinz variety, just plain ole cycling socks...

why so expensive?

does anybody use them?

if not what are your preferred (cheaper) alternatives?

please discuss......
not here

kyuss

Veteran
I've never bothered with proper cycling socks. I wear those short trainer socks, the ones that come up to just under the ankle. About £3 for 5 pairs in Matalan. They do the job just fine.

Tynan

Veteran
for this time of year I have a three pack of briko 'training socks' that cost piss all a year and some ago

I like cycle socks, very comfy

Randochap

Senior hunter
As said, a good sweat-wicking, blended material will keep you more comfortable and avoid chafing. My favourite ones are thicker weave in the sole, padded to help avoid "hot foot."

This doesn't necessarily mean it has to be "cycling specific." There are plenty of good socks made for running and other sports which will work well.

But I don't begrudge my feet proper socks. They thank me for it by not complaining.

peanut

£10 + for a pair of socks is crazy. I bought half a dozen from Ozzo a few years back, still got a few odd ones . I mostly use my matalan black work socks if i am using my overshoes cos no one can see them :sad:
I'd like some of those nice looking Massi socks on ebay but I couldn't pay £10 for a one size fit all pr of socks

Bigtwin

kyuss said:
I wear those short trainer socks, the ones that come up to just under the ankle. About £3 for 5 pairs in Matalan. They do the job just fine.

That's the badger.

Have some posh Prendas ones for when I want to look particularly professional. A five pack has lasted me at least as many years and still has 3 new pairs in.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
trainer socks no good for me; I wear assymetric semi boot style retro mtb shoes and find I get blisters on my ankles unless sock protrudes above top of boot

Blonde

I only ever wear proper cycling socks for cycling now. I used to get by without them in the past because I had a tight budget so didn't have much choice in the matter, but I had chillblains and cold legs in winter and sweaty althletes foot in summer. You get what you pay for. If you only make short trips by bike, don't sweat much, and don't ride competitively, you may get by in normal socks, but if you buy cycling socks you will feel the difference and won't ever want to go back to normal socks for cycling in. Same as with any piece of decent quality kit really. You can get by without expensive assos shorts, but the difference in fit, quality and technical performance is noticeable. If you can afford it, you don't have to get by with something that isn't designed for the purpose. You can choose to get something that is specifically designed for cycling and will make the whole experience more pleasureable.

Top Bottom