All Wool Socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I might buy another jumper, this one is starting to show its age . Harris wool knitting from a croft, its my cold weather jumper , thought i was being conned after asking one with longer arms, it eventually arrived 3

View attachment 676156 months later. Natural dye but dont know about the black.

Those colours - the black especially - might well be a natural overdye on top of naturally-coloured wool. Oak galls, fresh walnut outer hulls and rusty nails (among other things) offer a black or black-ish dye which will increase the blackness of natural 'black' wool. Naturally-occurring black wool has a brownish tone about it which seems largely absent in the photo, if the colour rendition I'm seeing is accurate.
The brown in that jumper looks like it might be moorit, which is a naturally-occurring colour in several different breeds of sheep. It can vary from a ginger through to a warm mid-brown. I love spinning naturally coloured fleece.

Someone said cold hands have these another buy when on tour. Vicuna wool gloves bought in the La Paz market.

View attachment 676158

When I lived in New Zealand, I bought possum/wool blend gloves and some possum/wool blend knitting wool with which I made a gilet/sleeveless jacket/whatevet they are called nowadays.. INCREDIBLY warm but sadly long since worn out. Possum seems quite fragile when spun into a yarn. The camelids are much more successful almost as warm and nothing like as fragile.

8mph

Veteran
When I lived in New Zealand, I bought possum/wool blend gloves and some possum/wool blend knitting wool with which I made a gilet/sleeveless jacket/whatevet they are called nowadays.. INCREDIBLY warm but sadly long since worn out. Possum seems quite fragile when spun into a yarn. The camelids are much more successful almost as warm and nothing like as fragile.

I have a merino / possum / silk blend neck warmer from NZ. Its very warm, too warm really! Hand knitted by "Arctic Edge" in Antarctica :blink:

Wooger

With my Raynaud's chilblains issue with my toes ref. an earlier post, decided it may be a good idea to get some all wool socks for the Winter.
However, try finding all wool socks - ! Went to our local Go Outdoors and all they had was pairs of 80% wool, but @ £22.50 a pair after discount - ! :blush:
Have tried t'net, but the best I seem to be able to find, despite putting in 'all wool socks' in the search is about a 35% wool content. :wacko:
Any suggestions - ?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am not now in contact with people on the Outer Hebrides and Highlands of Scotland but it was common practice to send a complete fleece off and get knitting or weaving wool back.
Certainly in my time my aunts used to send fleeces to Brora Woollen Mill for this purpose in Sutherland.

Top Bottom