Calling all dynamo lighting experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Should this be everything I need to upgrade the lighting on my new (to me) bike?

2024-02-21 08_50_02-Your basket _ Home _ SJS Cycles — Mozilla Firefox.png

Here is the thread on the bike, it's a Pashley, and has a 2.4w X-FDD dynamo hub with an old halogen lumotec light already wired up.

Even better if you can tell me the best way to wire up the new front light inc. getting the new (if needed) wire threaded inside the fork leg. Cheers!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You'll need crimping pliers, heatshrink, and personally I think there are better lights for similar money (IQ-XS), unless you absolutely must have the vintage looks.

I don't know what connector the hub uses.

I always wind the cable around the fork blade - is the existing wire run internally?

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Keeping the vintage look is rather appealing! I'll have a look at the IQ-XS. Yes, the existing wire is currently run internally from the top to the bottom of the fork. It'd be nice to maintain that.

EDIT: Where can I get the IQ-XS for £50~?

I cable tie the wire to the inside of the fork; quicker than threading it without it being too obvious, but I understand the point.

Test the front light before wiring the back. That way you know there the fault is if the back doesn't work.

Top Bottom