All Wool Socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
@simongt I'm similarly dismayed by the price of 100% wool socks. Alpaca socks are by far the warmest I've ever worn but the price seems to have doubled since the pandemic.

I refuse to pay £20 so I've taken to wearing some Yak wool socks which I picked up in India for £2 (wish I'd bought a dozen pairs!)

If you're not cycling, I recommend wearing boots with ample toe room. My leather Timberland boots are a lot warmer than my Gortex Salomon boots on a cold day.

I've got reynauds but it only affects my hands, middle finger worse than anything else. No idea why.

With my hands I just go for more insulation and if really cold a primaloft mitt suitable to minus 25°C for normal people.

Of course for feet your cannot do that. Thicker can mean colder because your footwear constrains and compresses your sock if thick enough.

One option is half a size up in footwear, even a whole size up to allow thicker socks. Wool rich. You need something elasticated at the top but also around the foot to hold the sock in. I think 20-30% is about right for synthetic.

You can get double layer socks too. These can work well but can be a PITA.

Also consider other things. Gaps anywhere can be an issue. More so with hands where wristies can be very effective at uprating your gloves. I'm sure something for the legs might work or do something.

Jameshow

Veteran
Too toasty tbh!

I've got used to them in my work boots tbh.

My walking / work shoes are a bit too tight!

IMG_20230127_150141200.jpg

The problem I have found with all wool socks is that they fall down because they have no elastic quality. Thats why you need to have a mix.
Good quality wool, spun suitable for the purpose (there are several different types of spinning from differently-prepared fibre), and knitted correctly, has natural elasticity which is 'renewed' each time it is washed or even steamed. However, as you probably don't want - and only very rarely need - to wash wool after every wear, knitted-in elastic thread, or fine elastic thread woven through the stitches round and round the cuffs after knitting, serves the purpose of maintaining elasticity.
In the case of most other fibres, especially some of the 'luxury' ones, elastic thread will be vital!

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
What amused me @ Go Outdoors was the manny said that there's a shortage of wool which explained the high price. :wacko:
Is there a shortage of sheep that we don't know about - ? :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
What amused me @ Go Outdoors was the manny said that there's a shortage of wool which explained the high price. :wacko:

A lot of wool was imported from Australia but we are getting into political territory now. We used all wool and a surplus yarn merchant I dealt with told me how much was imported for a well known at that time knitting business.
Kitty Norah seems to know more than most about the business of spinning.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Spinning you a yarn, mate.

Oh, well done! Made me laugh 👍😄

Gillstay

Über Member
I’m not sure wool keeps your feet warmer than any other fibre. Not too thick might help allowing air to circulate. Synthetic content is their to help keep it in shape. If you got naturally cold feet you’re fighting a losing battle.

If your feet get wet then I have never found anything better, even in the tropics. I find homemade wool socks the best of course.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If your feet get wet then I have never found anything better, even in the tropics. I find homemade wool socks the best of course.

You can probably still get hand knitted socks with Harris wool from places in the Outer Hebrides. We used to buy them wholesale for our shop and I still have a couple of pairs tho’ now well darned. They were good in my dry suit when diving.

In brief - It's complicated; there's no actual 'shortage' of wool; what there was (and to some extent still is) , is a disruption to the global wool market and supply chain and, leading on from that, a shortage of the 'right' sort of wool - or at least, what is nowadays considered to be the 'right' sort of wool - in the right places at the right time.

Full story:
China is now the largest producer of wool in the world (it was fairly recent that it overtook Australia), and Australia the second-largest, and the largest exporter. New Zealand is the third largest producer. In February 2020 the global wool market closed abruptly. It is still somewhat in 'catch-up' mode - wool being a natural product produced on a yearly cycle (and most wool has an almost unbelievably-long supply chain, unfortunately) so it is hardly surprising that there is a 'shortage' ...
Additionally, different types of wool are produced in different places (according to their suitablity for different breeds of sheep) so while there may be - for example - loads of high-quality low-micron Australian merino available so that soft knitwear and fine suiting can be made, it may also be that there is much less available in the long-staple lustre wools from the UK & New Zealand, so that fine carpets cannot be made.

Although much of the early wealth of England was 'built on wool' - and we all know of the 'woolsack' in the Houses of Parliament - most of the sheep in the UK nowadays are raised for meat; wool is a mere by-product and even, in some cases, an unwanted expense. For welfare reasons, sheep need to be shorn - which doesn't come free or even cheap - and then there's the further expense of sorting, packing and transport to the wool auctions. Shearing is a welfare essential, but if the rest of the expenses - the costs of packing, sorting and sending fleeces to market - don't result in a profit, what's the point? Best to burn, compost or otherwise dispose of low-value fleeces. It's not as bad now as it was a few years ago, when fleeces were worth less than nothing, but February 2020 saw the global wool market closed for a significant period and farmers and wool merchants had no choice but to 'dispose of' their fleeces if they couldn't store them or process them.

There is also a shortage of facilities for wool processing in this country, so if anyone wants to (for instance) produce a hard-wearing pure-breed wool from their own flock, and sell the resulting yarn to knitters and/or weavers - or even set up a knitting or weaving workshop in a repurposed barn (diversity in farming of course) they will come up against huge barriers, expense and time in their quest to have the wool scoured and spun to useful commercial standards. There is, though, increasing interest in 'mini-mills' especially in remoter areas. This webpage - about the mini-mill in use on North Ronaldsay - gives an idea of the processing procedure. And this is without giving any thought to dyeing, bleaching, texturising etc etc all of which require further processing. BTW I can highly recommend the North Ronaldsay wool - it was the wool, in roving form, with which I learnt to spin. Lots of different colours, all natural! And amazingly soft for a primitive breed, the mini-mill does a superb job of dehairing.

People with speciality and/or rare breed pure-bred flocks can make a bit of pocket-money by selling fleeces or parts of fleeces, direct to the handcrafting and hobby-spinner market, but not much. After all, how many fleeces can a hobby spinner use?
I was given a full fleece several years ago by a farmer in the village where I used to live; it won a first prize at a prestigious sheep and wool show but for all that he couldn't get rid of it for actual money! I am still finding bits of that fleece packed away in odd corners; I knitted him a beanie and a pair of wellie socks from some of it that I'd spun - but he wasn't even expecting that - he simply didn't want to have to burn or compost it, which was the alternative.

So, there's no shortage, per se, of wool - but there may well be a shortage of a particular type of wool. And sock wool has always been a bit of a speciality yarn, especially when used domestically or in a small-scale production facility.

As I suggested earlier, the best way to get genuine woollen socks, is to learn to knit. It's not difficult, it's good for you and is something that has long been done by people such as shepherds, mariners and lighthouse keepers.

Tenkaykev

Guru
In brief - It's complicated; there's no actual 'shortage' of wool; what there was (and to some extent still is) , is a disruption to the global wool market and supply chain and, leading on from that, a shortage of the 'right' sort of wool - or at least, what is nowadays considered to be the 'right' sort of wool - in the right places at the right time.

Full story:
China is now the largest producer of wool in the world (it was fairly recent that it overtook Australia), and Australia the second-largest, and the largest exporter. New Zealand is the third largest producer. In February 2020 the global wool market closed abruptly. It is still somewhat in 'catch-up' mode - wool being a natural product produced on a yearly cycle (and most wool has an almost unbelievably-long supply chain, unfortunately) so it is hardly surprising that there is a 'shortage' ...
Additionally, different types of wool are produced in different places (according to their suitablity for different breeds of sheep) so while there may be - for example - loads of high-quality low-micron Australian merino available so that soft knitwear and fine suiting can be made, it may also be that there is much less available in the long-staple lustre wools from the UK & New Zealand, so that fine carpets cannot be made.

Although much of the early wealth of England was 'built on wool' - and we all know of the 'woolsack' in the Houses of Parliament - most of the sheep in the UK nowadays are raised for meat; wool is a mere by-product and even, in some cases, an unwanted expense. For welfare reasons, sheep need to be shorn - which doesn't come free or even cheap - and then there's the further expense of sorting, packing and transport to the wool auctions. Shearing is a welfare essential, but if the rest of the expenses - the costs of packing, sorting and sending fleeces to market - don't result in a profit, what's the point? Best to burn, compost or otherwise dispose of low-value fleeces. It's not as bad now as it was a few years ago, when fleeces were worth less than nothing, but February 2020 saw the global wool market closed for a significant period and farmers and wool merchants had no choice but to 'dispose of' their fleeces if they couldn't store them or process them.

There is also a shortage of facilities for wool processing in this country, so if anyone wants to (for instance) produce a hard-wearing pure-breed wool from their own flock, and sell the resulting yarn to knitters and/or weavers - or even set up a knitting or weaving workshop in a repurposed barn (diversity in farming of course) they will come up against huge barriers, expense and time in their quest to have the wool scoured and spun to useful commercial standards. There is, though, increasing interest in 'mini-mills' especially in remoter areas. This webpage - about the mini-mill in use on North Ronaldsay - gives an idea of the processing procedure. And this is without giving any thought to dyeing, bleaching, texturising etc etc all of which require further processing. BTW I can highly recommend the North Ronaldsay wool - it was the wool, in roving form, with which I learnt to spin. Lots of different colours, all natural! And amazingly soft for a primitive breed, the mini-mill does a superb job of dehairing.

People with speciality and/or rare breed pure-bred flocks can make a bit of pocket-money by selling fleeces or parts of fleeces, direct to the handcrafting and hobby-spinner market, but not much. After all, how many fleeces can a hobby spinner use?
I was given a full fleece several years ago by a farmer in the village where I used to live; it won a first prize at a prestigious sheep and wool show but for all that he couldn't get rid of it for actual money! I am still finding bits of that fleece packed away in odd corners; I knitted him a beanie and a pair of wellie socks from some of it that I'd spun - but he wasn't even expecting that - he simply didn't want to have to burn or compost it, which was the alternative.

So, there's no shortage, per se, of wool - but there may well be a shortage of a particular type of wool. And sock wool has always been a bit of a speciality yarn, especially when used domestically or in a small-scale production facility.

As I suggested earlier, the best way to get genuine woollen socks, is to learn to knit. It's not difficult, it's good for you and is something that has long been done by people such as shepherds, mariners and lighthouse keepers.

Thank you for such an informative and interesting post 👍

Sallar55

Veteran
I might buy another jumper, this one is starting to show its age . Harris wool knitting from a croft, its my cold weather jumper , thought i was being conned after asking one with longer arms, it eventually arrived 3

PXL_20230130_101704955.jpg
months later. Natural dye but dont know about the black.

Top Bottom