All Wool Socks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My choice for winter cycling socks, M&S merino (52% merino) 3 pairs £15 . Light weight, suitable for use with cycling shoes .

With my Raynaud's chilblains issue with my toes ref. an earlier post, decided it may be a good idea to get some all wool socks for the Winter.
However, try finding all wool socks - ! Went to our local Go Outdoors and all they had was pairs of 80% wool, but @ £22.50 a pair after discount - ! :blush:
Have tried t'net, but the best I seem to be able to find, despite putting in 'all wool socks' in the search is about a 35% wool content. :wacko:
Any suggestions - ?

Learn to knit?

The yarn used for hard-wearing hand- or CSM (circular sock machine)-knit socks is normally 3-or 4-ply in weight, knit at a gauge of something like 35 stitches and 48 rows to 10cm on 2mm - 2.5mm needles using a worsted-spun yarn that is 75% wool and 25% nylon (or thereabouts).
I generally dislike knitting socks, but some people enjoy it. Hand-made socks - whether knit on 4 needles, a circular needle or a CSM are unbeatable for warmth and comfort, and will (usually) last a good long time too.
You can also get sock-quality wool (75/25 or 80/20 wool/nylon) in DK and aran weights; these of course are much faster to knit up by hand than the 3 or 4-ply weights.
A good sock wool, though, is not cheap.

80% wool socks at £22.50 for a men's size sounds reasonable tbh, if it's a decent sock-quality wool. What is the other 20%? For best wear it should be nylon/polyamide.

Otherwise, if you can find someone who likes knitting socks, offer to buy them the wool (be prepared for the price ...) and offer to pay them for their time (be prepared for the length of time ...) then you might see why I, as a knitter, think £22.50 sounds like a reasonable price ...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
With my Raynaud's chilblains issue with my toes ref. an earlier post, decided it may be a good idea to get some all wool socks for the Winter.
However, try finding all wool socks - ! Went to our local Go Outdoors and all they had was pairs of 80% wool, but @ £22.50 a pair after discount - ! :blush:
Have tried t'net, but the best I seem to be able to find, despite putting in 'all wool socks' in the search is about a 35% wool content. :wacko:
Any suggestions - ?

Decathlon do warm socks with Merino wool. They're elastic enough. They also survive 30° washes without shrinking.

I've filched some of my mum's hand-knitted socks this winter. :blush: They're a couple of sizes too big for my dainty little feet, but eeee bah gum, they're nice and warm.

Normally, I wear heatholder-type socks during the winter. They work best with a thin sock inside them as otherwise they do make your feet sweat. The trouble with them is though, is that they have a horrible propensity for wearing out on the heel, and thus end their lives turned into cat toys.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Any suggestions - ?

I wouldn't necessarily recommend 100% wool socks but a brief Google search comes up with a few options
https://socksnob.co.uk/product/mens-100-wool-socks/

https://www.irishinspiration.com/socks/jacob-sheep-wool

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/100_wool_socks

Jameshow

Veteran

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Buy some cheap acrylic ski socks on Ebay. £12 for four pairs.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m not sure wool keeps your feet warmer than any other fibre. Not too thick might help allowing air to circulate. Synthetic content is their to help keep it in shape. If you got naturally cold feet you’re fighting a losing battle.

Sallar55

Veteran
I am always on the lookout for cold weather gear, bought Yak wool oned when away touring. if its good enough for the locals it works. When back home its the internet for similar stuff.

PXL_20230127_091913998.jpg

PXL_20230127_091906255.jpg

Top Bottom