Cycling style inherited from previous sports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was a runner for many years. Capable of managing moderate long distances, but a slow trundler.

As a cyclist, on the other hand ... I'm, er ... capable of managing moderate long distances, but a slow trundler.

Before I was a runner I was into cycling - you can guess the rest.

ozboz

Guru
I was into boxing , a cyclist came up behind me last week and rang his bell (to get past) , oh dear !
;)
Just kidding , I was a second row forward and a right back at football , just keep going until the end , that’s how I combat steep hills and horrible weather , that’s what I remember most about rugby ,

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was a long distance runner, and have been at this cycling malarkey for less than a year.
Managed a 70 mile bike ride last month and it went better than I expected.
I thought " if I can do 70, perhaps I could do 100"
So now I'm trying to find an easy going event that would be suitable for a slow plodder who's chronically anaemic and struggles on hills (a bit like my running was)
I was a running Centurion, be nice to be a cycling Centurion too.

I was a long distance runner, and have been at this cycling malarkey for less than a year.
Managed a 70 mile bike ride last month and it went better than I expected.
I thought " if I can do 70, perhaps I could do 100"
So now I'm trying to find an easy going event that would be suitable for a slow plodder who's chronically anaemic and struggles on hills (a bit like my running was)
I was a running Centurion, be nice to be a cycling Centurion too.
Have you considered planning your own route as an alternative to an organised event?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Have you considered planning your own route as an alternative to an organised event?

I've used the CycleTravel route planner to plot routes from home but none of them really appealed. I suppose it is because I need the motivation of some sort of event to get inspired.
Having said that, I think that I've stumbled upon the perfect event :

https://www.ridetothesun.co.uk

My 70 mile ride was from from Glasgow to Edinburgh along Canal towpaths. I have a daughter who lives in Edinburgh so this looks ideal from a logistics post of view. The fact that it is a turn up and set off at a time of your choice and ride through the night is particularly appealing.
I've pencilled it in for next year as it's a bit too short notice for this year.

I've used the CycleTravel route planner to plot routes from home but none of them really appealed. I suppose it is because I need the motivation of some sort of event to get inspired.
Having said that, I think that I've stumbled upon the perfect event :

https://www.ridetothesun.co.uk

My 70 mile ride was from from Glasgow to Edinburgh along Canal towpaths. I have a daughter who lives in Edinburgh so this looks ideal from a logistics post of view. The fact that it is a turn up and set off at a time of your choice and ride through the night is particularly appealing.
I've pencilled it in for next year as it's a bit too short notice for this year.

Fair do's. I tend to cycle alone most of the time, can do my own thing then. Cycle.travel is the route planner of choice for me. I'm doing this today to recce a route for a Raleigh Twenty group, however it'll just be the New Street to Sutton Park loop on Twenties!

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/108981

I've done a few audaxes and enjoyed them. It depends how much you wish to have "laid on", not a lot in the case of audax, which suits me.

Drago

Legendary Member
Powerlifter and some time body builder. It never done me any favours on the straights and level or over great distance, but I'm an indefatigable climber. That 25% gradient by the forest is nothing on the legs once you're used to doing 34 x 500lb leg presses in a minute.

Top Bottom