Cycling style?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
When im cycling,i tend to cycle defensively,ill give way at every opertunity,i wont hold traffic up if i can help it,and i wont react to bad drivers unless i feel its serious enough,and iv had one incident that was a dangerous one a few weeks ago.Its interesting that some seem to get more incidents than others,obviously due to traffic and road layouts,but does cycling style and attitude really make much difference?

Discuss?

ChrisKH

Guru
The area and time of day you are riding plays a big part IMO. I tend to attract bad drivers on my commute because everyone's in a hurry. I can ride in the same style of a weekend and not face the same issues.

Commuting is an experience based thing for the most part...you know the junctions, the flow of traffic, the propensity for people to act against you the cyclist...
I try to be on the lookout well ahead - traffic light phases, obvious sticking points to loop around and all the while looking out for stuff nearby - a pedestrian perhaps, someone texting a poem to Joe24 maybe.:smile:
I'm always looking at wheels to see if they are in motion at junctions and looking at driver's heads to see if they are paying attention.
I must cycle in a bad way at times, but I try and not let other road users bug me too much...they aren't going to fall off their car seats are they?:laugh:
If I get a chance at the weekend etc - I'm just easy going and have an enjoyable time - as far as possible.
It's hard work exchanging a word or two at lights for example- everyone seems to be wired for sound...which can't be such a good idea...can it?:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ride fast and assertively, otherwise you get walked over. I don't hold traffic up though, and nor do I break the law - just sets a bad example.

If I need to be in a certain place on the road, then I'll take it (e.g. turning right). I'm not a big primary user as I'm not too bothered about close overtakes (used to riding close to other cyclists) but I ride a good secondary - 2-3 feet out to avoid grids, pot holes etc.

I don't respond to drivers, unless it's a 'WOW' if they make a mistake like not look or cut across the front of me.

To be honest, I'm far too busy riding the bike to be bothered to start tapping on windows or anything, even if they cut me up. The most I'll do is shout 'Wow' or 'Use your eyes' then carry on - just slows you up to much and buggers up the rhythm.

It's pretty pointless arguing with other road users as they usually get very aggressive - I tried to tell some spotty yoof that he was too close when he pulled out on me in a moped - got a 'poor response' from him. Had I been one the road bike, I would have just burnt him off, and embarrased the hell out of his pea shooter.

If someone starts 'beeping' I'll wave or wave the 'What' sign....

If out training (e.g. weekends) then I am very ascertive, but you have to be if you are going eye balls out and are concentrating on the job in hand.

Mr Phoebus

The vast, vast majority of drivers that I encounter each day are fine.
A lot are even very courteous, thankfully encounters with A-holes are
few and far between.
Bus drivers by me are fine towards cyclists, they'll patiently hang back till
it's safe/safer to pass.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
There are so many factors involved,like if we are in a hurry,or a car ,wagon ,bus,it can have an effect on our ways of travelling,and what about training,we might not want our speed or rythm broke,and it could also make the difference on our attitudes.I now have the attitude of things are going to happen,and cycle accordingly.I dont think being wired for sound is a good idea,it could mask a sound we need to hear possibly?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
I'm afraid I'm very aggressive when I ride in traffic, and always assume that drivers don't see me...from the bitter experience of being hit by a car...

Now thats something i do too,as part of my defensive style,i think it does save some possible bad moments?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Anyone who's seen me cycling knows I do it with no style whatsoever!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
wafflycat said:
In my local town there is an old boy who cycles around just like that - with terrier in basket on bike!

I'm tempted to give it a whirl, but;

a) I don't have a Pashley
:biggrin: Our terrier[1] likes to chase buses (and motorcycles, and vans, and cars he doesn't like the look of) :laugh:

2827967596_65862f628f.jpg

[1] Eddie - part Jack Russell, part god knows what, to be quite honest.

Other cycling style;

Copenhagen Bicycle Chic
How to Ride Your Bike in Style
Urban Cycle Chic
VeloChic.au
Chic Cyclist
CycleChic
VeloVogue

Top Bottom