Cycling style?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
wafflycat said:
Rubbish. Your IrnBru jersey is the epitome of sartorial cycling style:biggrin:

You should see my Mont Ventoux one! :biggrin:
[/smug]

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Aperitif said:
Commuting is an experience based thing for the most part...you know the junctions, the flow of traffic, the propensity for people to act against you the cyclist...
I try to be on the lookout well ahead - traffic light phases, obvious sticking points to loop around and all the while looking out for stuff nearby - a pedestrian perhaps, someone texting a poem to Joe24 maybe.:wacko:
I'm always looking at wheels to see if they are in motion at junctions and looking at driver's heads to see if they are paying attention.
I must cycle in a bad way at times, but I try and not let other road users bug me too much...they aren't going to fall off their car seats are they?:tongue:
If I get a chance at the weekend etc - I'm just easy going and have an enjoyable time - as far as possible.
It's hard work exchanging a word or two at lights for example- everyone seems to be wired for sound...which can't be such a good idea...can it?:biggrin:

Quick someone send me a poem, then i'll get kovus phone number and text it on to her, and say its me;)
I cycle calmly, then when someone annoys me i get abit more aggressive, staying out in primary for longer.
I normally get distracted by the nice young women walking along the pavement. Whens the hot weather coming back again;)

fossyant said:
I tried to tell some spotty yoof that he was too close when he pulled out on me in a moped - got a 'poor response' from him. Had I been one the road bike, I would have just burnt him off, and embarrased the hell out of his pea shooter.
Shame you weren't, sounds funny just thinking about it, would love to have seen it:rofl:

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm a mix of agressive and defensive in the same ride. Adapt to the circumstances of the moment.
I'll happily overtake a stationary queue of traffic on the right, i'll hold my place in the road, overtake other bikes or cars in traffic after a look over the shoulder. LOOK assertive at the drivers begind you, i find they tend to respect it.
By the same token, if i'm sat at lights and a bus or truck comes up behind me, and the circumstances are right, i'll wave him past and let him get on his way. Why mix it when it serves no purpose.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
gbb said:
I'm a mix of agressive and defensive in the same ride. Adapt to the circumstances of the moment.
I'll happily overtake a stationary queue of traffic on the right, i'll hold my place in the road, overtake other bikes or cars in traffic after a look over the shoulder. LOOK assertive at the drivers begind you, i find they tend to respect it.By the same token, if i'm sat at lights and a bus or truck comes up behind me, and the circumstances are right, i'll wave him past and let him get on his way. Why mix it when it serves no purpose.

I did that, and had a guy shout abuse at me for it, and then give chase :angry:

Keith Oates

Janner
When you come out here you soon learn that all other traffic is ahead of you, in the weight and size categories, so you just get into the ditch fast when needed. Suprisingly I now don't get upset with 'incidents' so often and on the odd times I do say something I just get a smile back, which is very calming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Get on, get clipped in and pedal away. Avoid hitting anything and come home in one piece. Everything else is a blur / best not admitted to!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User1314 said:
I could be more assertive and hold my position. But taking a primary behind the car instead of making a stand on a point of principle probably makes a safer journey.
Stuff like that is always a judgement call - I'd rather have someone who's stupid and impatient ahead of me, provided that it's safe to let them pass.

Top Bottom