Cycling the NC 500.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

The NC 500 is a road route for driving in the North Scotland, starting from Inverness,crossing the Highlands then going coastal.
Not delved deep enough into it yet, but thinking of doing by Trike, using my recumbent, or at least a bike, travelling by train to Inverness.
Has anyone thoughts on this? I have cycled in Scotland, by and large, on the main roads ,which don't have the traffic we normally associate with them.
Am I nuts or doollay for thinking of it.
A laid back, layabout cyclist.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
According to my son, the roads are a bit rough, and that's in a car.:laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It has become a victim of its own success - Guardian article. I think you would have a lot of awkward encounters on singletrack roads that tourists didn't understand how to drive on. I had an experience of that on Mull when one aggressive idiot in a 4x4 drove straight at me to force me out of his way.

I think you would be better to plan your own route away from the bucket list-tickers.

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

... which is why there are already 3 cyclechat threads called North Coast 500, plus many more discussing it under different titles!
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to where they are? I was only making enquiries ,with some whom may have a helpfull reply , I had done a forum Search before posting.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It has become a victim of its own success - Guardian article. I think you would have a lot of awkward encounters on singletrack roads that tourists didn't understand how to drive on. I had an experience of that on Mull when one aggressive idiot in a 4x4 drove straight at me to force me out of his way.

I think you would be better to plan your own route away from the bucket list-tickers.
Some people would rather follow expert-defined routes than guess from maps.

https://www.northcoast500.com/itinerary/cycling/ contains some cycling alternatives (includes forest roads and other slow stuff) but you have to pay £15/year to get access to them.

Baldy

Über Member
The problem with the train is there are only two bike spaces. These are often filled with other junk. The station staff seem to get very excited about refusing bikes onto "Their train". It's a real nightmare.

Nc500 can be totally bung up with giant campervans. Even though sections of the road have a 6ft 6ins width limit. It's better off season but then you're gambling on the weather.

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Travel by train to Inverness, you'll be lucky.
Perhaps I am being naive, but I thought I would use the 'Sleeper' service from London, booked all the way through, reserving the bike onboard ,both ways.
If there's is room to do that, and it's booked both ways, then the railway operating company has to obey the contract, I wouldn't book passage without assurance to travel.
Likely to be compromised by the fact I would like to use my recumbent, but if I was serious about doing it would be the 'upwrong'.

Like I say ,I am naive,

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Perhaps I am being naive, but I thought I would use the 'Sleeper' service from London, booked all the way through, reserving the bike onboard ,both ways.
If there's is room to do that, and it's booked both ways, then the railway operating company has to obey the contract, I wouldn't book passage without assurance to travel.
Likely to be compromised by the fact I would like to use my recumbent, but if I was serious about doing it would be the 'upwrong'.

Like I say ,I am naive,
That sounds like a smart move; I've always fancied giving the sleeper a try.
You may already have checked but, although the Caledonian Sleeper does take bikes, it's conditions come with some limitations https://www.sleeper.scot/travelling-with-bikes/

Top Bottom