Cycling these days .... rise of the clones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In some ways it was heartening to see 20 plus cyclists but saddening to see every one in pristine matching club kit, obligatory helmet, 'cycling shades' and latest big brand plastic bikes... <snip>.. it's impossible apart from the numbers or a facial close-up to figure out who is who, you only see their mouths and chins, they could be anyone out there.

Someone should point out to them that they're damaging the fabric of social cohesion, covering their faces like that.
It's nothing less than a negation of oneself, a negation of others, and a negation of society. There ought to be a law agai...

Sorry, wrong thread..

GC

yello

Whilst I know where you're coming from FF and do have similar feelings on occasions, I can't help but also feeling that I am being a miserable git for it.

Cycling is not mine, I don't get to pick and choose who does it. These newcomers are enjoying themselves, end of. Whether it's a fad or whether they'll be long term adherents is nothing to do with me. BUT... I do get the benefits of the rise in popularity of cycling. I have these guys to thank for that. I can't forget that no matter how ill at ease I feel when I see such things.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh dear it could be a nightmare this – no-one believes that they are a clone, but how do you know?
You’ve been riding for years, and gradually adopted the modern uniform of lycra, you enjoy meeting other like-minded folk and riding together, and you are happy to see so many other cyclists coming out of the woodwork, then someone else in lycra points at you and shouts ‘Clone!’.
You appreciate the dilemma ....

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Personally i think it's just funny. During the winter I saw a local in town wearing a plaid shirt, wax jacket, jeans, and wellies riding an old grungy, manky rusty MTB that looked like it weighed three tons riding through town. A couple of months later I saw someone with a flash bike with all the gubbins wearing one of those all in one things. He looked like a giant lump of custard. Brilliant. Who cares. I just don't understand why people would be upset because some people want to look the same while they are out riding with they're club.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The worst thing is when you've been an urban warrior on a gnarled fixie for seven or eight years and then all these nobbers come up with something called the fixie 'scene' and before you know what's going on you have people looking at you thinking you're one of them. (Not that they are, of course...just standard urban warrior neurosis.)

Actually, I don't really care one way or t'other, about the Hoxton lot or the lycra lot - as long as they're on two wheels, 'it's all good'.

Ansome

Perhaps there is an argument for registration then, with the year of first registering as 'a cyclist' being a prominent part of the number that you get assigned and have to then wear as a plate on the bike you are riding, this way we could wear our lower numbers with a knowing pride and have a 1974 number on your carbon! (My tongue may be firmly in my cheek here)

Globalti

Legendary Member
FF your rant disappoints me! I'd got you down as an easy-going sort of bloke.

Are identikit cyclists any worse than the millions of proles who walk around like clones in soccer-inspired casual wear? Cycling kit is designed for the job, as I discovered when I started road cycling in mountain bike gear and realised that the flapping was going to drive me mad. If everybody strives to improve their comfort and efficiency, by natural selection they are going to end up wearing the same kit. To be honest I enjoy the sight of lean, tanned cyclists in smart, snug-fitting gear; it reassures me that there are a few citizens around who care about their appearance and their health and it's easy on the eye.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The worst thing is when you've been an urban warrior on a gnarled fixie for seven or eight years and then all these nobbers come up with something called the fixie 'scene' and before you know what's going on you have people looking at you thinking you're one of them. (Not that they are, of course...just standard urban warrior neurosis.)
Yeah .... bloody followers!

Top Bottom